Allow walls and gates in the upgrade planner

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

HadesSupreme
Inserter
Inserter

Allow walls and gates in the upgrade planner

Post by HadesSupreme »

Allow us to put walls and gates in the upgrade planner so I can paint a path through my dragon's teeth formation whenever I want to drive through a part of my wall. Thanks.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Allow walls and gates in the upgrade planner

Post by ssilk »

You mean that walls can be upgraded to gates and gates can be upgraded to walls? What a simple but great idea! Nice!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Allow walls and gates in the upgrade planner

Post by boskid »

There are at least 2 reasons why this is unlikely to happen:
- Gate has different collision mask than a wall has. This is one of many requirements for the current upgrade planner logic to consider 2 entities as upgradable which a gate-wall pair fails.
- Walls have no direction when Gates have a direction (they are either horizontal(direction=east) or vertical(direction=north)). Change from gate to wall would be doable but for wall to gate it would require extra logic to decide the direction of a gate, which would get fuzzy in case of walls more than 1 entity deep.

That being said, i see a gate ghost can be placed over a wall to order an upgrade (which in case of a north gate with be resolved as an upgrade, and in case of an east gate will be resolved as deconstruct+build ghost), but that is acceptable since this action provides the direction of the gate explicitly and the gates and walls are intended to be fast replacable between each other.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”