Repair packs: not from Roboport for personal losgistic

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cobaltur
Inserter
Inserter

Repair packs: not from Roboport for personal losgistic

Post by Cobaltur »

For personal logistics repair packs should only be handled from the logistic network.

But currently also repair packs are taken form the roboports.

Scenario:
Currently I'm playing space exploration and I have outpost all along and want to maintain them with roboports and repair packs.
I have enable a stack for my personal logistic so my inventory is filled in the home base.
But if i place that in the outpost I got them immediately back from the roboports.
I have to toggle the personal logistics manually each time I arrive at outpost.

The same would apply for vanilla games with outpost.

As said the internal storage of roboports should not be used as providers.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Repair packs: not from Roboport for personal losgistic

Post by ssilk »

I’m not sure: why is that a problem? If they use up a repair pack, then the bots pick up a new, if needed. This is not dependent on, if they use it for repair or for your personal roboport.

And I’m not sure if I like or dislike that behavior. I suggest to use supply chests, because they are made for this kind of automatic supply.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:35 am
I’m not sure: why is that a problem? If they use up a repair pack, then the bots pick up a new, if needed. This is not dependent on, if they use it for repair or for your personal roboport.

And I’m not sure if I like or dislike that behavior. I suggest to use supply chests, because they are made for this kind of automatic supply.
I think the issue is that they have a personal logistics request for X repair packs, but when they are at the outpost and manually unloading repair packs into robo ports, as soon as their personal inventory drops below X, the logi bots there are robbing what they're putting into the robo ports to give back to them.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

But that is a more general problem, not only happens with repair packs. It could happen with any item, that you bring into a logistic network.
So in any case involving the roboports into that is the wrong way. Must be solved completely differently.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:30 am
But that is a more general problem, not only happens with repair packs. It could happen with any item, that you bring into a logistic network.
So in any case involving the roboports into that is the wrong way. Must be solved completely differently.
While it can happen with any item, this is only true for the items placed into logistic chests. In this particular case, the OP is saying that they are putting the repair packs directly into the slots in the roboports. I guess you could argue that if you have a request for X construction or logistic bots, you don't get what's in the roboports, so why should you get the repair packs that are in there, too? Honestly, it wouldn't bother me either way what the devs decide to do, but I can see the OP's point.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yeah, so seen it’s not a very logical behavior. Why should a roboport supply the player. It makes not much sense, if repair packs is the only item.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Cobaltur wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:29 am
For personal logistics repair packs should only be handled from the logistic network.
The bottom line is that repair packs in roboports are currently part of logistic network storage (they are just a convenient storage location). I think that's what would need to change, but doing so would have other (breaking) effects. I also think that the problem you described is restricted to an unusual or at least temporary situation for most. The problem can already be avoided in various ways, or seen as a specific instance of a more general problem (as ssilk mentioned). Therefore, I think there is very limited value to a change.

You (presumably) have automated production of repair packs somewhere, and need some to be moved to your outposts - not an unusual situation or requirement. The manual solution is to pick them up from where they are produced and take them to the outposts. The problem you described only arises because you are (ab)using personal logistics to do part of the job of automating that task. Instead, consider automating it fully. If you are not ready/able to, pick the repair packs up from where they are produced or automate delivery to a conveniently located chest (eg build a requester chest). You can still use a personal logistics request to keep some repair packs for personal use, but if so you need to set the request with a high enough maximum.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SoShootMe wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:43 am
The bottom line is that repair packs in roboports are currently part of logistic network storage (they are just a convenient storage location). I think that's what would need to change, but doing so would have other (breaking) effects.
I’m curious what breaking effects you believe this will have?

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:13 am
SoShootMe wrote:
The bottom line is that repair packs in roboports are currently part of logistic network storage (they are just a convenient storage location). I think that's what would need to change, but doing so would have other (breaking) effects.
To be clear, the change I meant was to consider repair packs in roboports not part of logistic network storage. I should have written "potentially breaking": it would affect anything using the value via the circuit network or logistic network connection.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SoShootMe wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:26 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:13 am
SoShootMe wrote:
To be clear, the change I meant was to consider repair packs in roboports not part of logistic network storage. I should have written "potentially breaking": it would affect anything using the value via the circuit network or logistic network connection.
Yes, I knew exactly where you meant.

That break can be countered by allowing roboports to output repair packs within them, just like how they can output total Con and Logi bots, though that would mean that the roboports would now have 5 output signals instead of 4.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I had an idea (but it’s a bit off-topic): what if roboports would behave like supply chests? In this case: you can say how much logistic- and construction-bots should be in this roboport.
And how many repair packs.

And you can put all three items in and out via inserters. But because they also work as a supply chest the logistic network tries to fill the roboports with the needed numbers. Special rule: parked robots can be ordered to fly themselves to another roboport; no need to use logistic bots to do that. (Btw. with this mechanism you can empty all robots in a network and replace them with different robots, some mods need that).

Now back to topic: This would solve the above problem, because now you can supply your roboports with so many repair packs, that this suggestion is not needed anymore. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”