'Paste' button in 'Map generator' dialog

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

'Paste' button in 'Map generator' dialog

Post by Artyom »

Hi.

Is it complex task to add a small but usefull button to paste a map exchange string in 'Map generator' dialog? It is annoying to press Ctrl+V combination.
The similar button (called 'Copy') exists in 'Load game' dialog for a long time.
Attachments
new_map_dialog.png
new_map_dialog.png (15.87 KiB) Viewed 796 times
saved_game_dialog.png
saved_game_dialog.png (60.51 KiB) Viewed 796 times

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 'Paste' button in 'Map generator' dialog

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Genuine question: wouldn't it be simpler to just import the map exchange string when you click the import button? If there's no recognizable map exchange string in the clipboard, the button can just be disabled. Similarly for export, why doesn't it just copy to the clipboard directly instead of opening a popup that you have to manually copy from and then dismiss?

At the very least it could paste the clipboard contents automatically (if recognized) into the text box. There could still be a 'Paste' button in case you have an older map exchange string in the clipboard and haven't yet copied the one you actually want to import.

The map exchange string is just gibberish afaik, so there's no need to show it for either of these actions. If you want to see the actual string, you can just paste it into a notepad.

Or is copying intentionally made explicit so as to make it obvious that it's using the system clipboard (not a special Factorio-only clipboard), for people who need a hint in case they have something else in the clipboard that is important?

Artyom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Artyom »

You're right, bro. Your variant is better. But my is simpler.

My question is just expression of irony. Because I don't understand why 'Paste' button weren't added at the same time as 'Copy' one. It was the logical solution.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

From the sight of UX design the whole process is a mess. :)
And yes, if the clipboard contains a blueprint it could display the most important meta information. You don’t need to see it. Or you need to see it only, to make sure you copied the right one. But who else than a developer does that? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”