Way to catch up with server faster

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

patmo98
Inserter
Inserter

Way to catch up with server faster

Post by patmo98 »

I want a faster way to "catch up" with the server, when playing on a small server
When playing a very large modpack and running the headless server, the client will often catch up with the server very slowly. This is because the client and server are both almost UPS capped, especially when both are running on the same machine.
What
I have two suggustions. I'm bundling them together because it's two alternate ways of achieving the same goal.

Implementation option 1:
Allow lua console commands to be given from the server console. This would allow the server to be paused from the console, as well as many other uses.

Implementation option 2:
Allow pressing the pause button in the client while "catching up". Again, pausing for a couple seconds might save over a minute of catching up. Of course this command won't work if pausing is disallowed, but that's fine.

Why ?
Because catching up is incredibly slow when the server is running at a similar speed to your computer, and on a small server, the other people usually don't begrudge someone pausing for a 10 seconds to save minutes of connection time. Especially if there's no one on the server at the time.
Impact
The impact is minimal, since anyone who doesn't want people pausing can just avoid giving them the permission to do so.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Way to catch up with server faster

Post by Rseding91 »

patmo98 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:39 am
Implementation option 1:
Allow lua console commands to be given from the server console. This would allow the server to be paused from the console, as well as many other uses.
You already can the same way you do commands in-game:

Code: Select all

/c your-lua-command-here
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

patmo98
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Way to catch up with server faster

Post by patmo98 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:20 am
You already can the same way you do commands in-game
Thank you!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”