Can the minerals in the starting area not be connected together

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Can the minerals in the starting area not be connected together

Post by sdgmlj »

In the initial area, there is a great chance that the minerals will be connected together, so we don't like it very much. It's best to have a certain distance between them
Attachments
屏幕截图 2022-05-18 162758.jpg
屏幕截图 2022-05-18 162758.jpg (330.29 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
屏幕截图 2022-05-18 162700.jpg
屏幕截图 2022-05-18 162700.jpg (278.66 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can the minerals in the starting area not be connected together

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Ooo, I like that logistical challenge. :twisted:

That aside, do you happen to have any of the generation sliders for ores and starting area set to anything other than default? (Just checking! :D )
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:59 pm
Ooo, I like that logistical challenge. :twisted:

That aside, do you happen to have any of the generation sliders for ores and starting area set to anything other than default? (Just checking! :D )
I have tested that modifying the size and quantity of minerals can not change whether the minerals in the starting area overlap. Of course, they are not connected together every time, but this probability is very high. I have to refresh the map many times every time I start a new game

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

I know that the original intention of developers is to make the starting area have various minerals, but please let them have a certain distance. Of course, this is only my personal idea. Whether to adopt it or not depends on you, but I don't think this change will have a bad impact on the game

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

Or can this setting be changed by modifying a parameter? Which friend can tell me that I can modify it myself. Thank you :D

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Huh, I wonder if you're just having bad luck or if I have good? I just cycled through a lot a maps with default settings and I think only 25% of them had at least 2 patches touching.

Like I said, though, this doesn't bother me and I even like it. It should also be easy to solve: use a splitter and set it's output filter feature.

That said, I wouldn't be against your suggestion, so long as an option is left somewhere for those of us who do like it to have it back.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

A “will never connect” is — with the math involved into the standard map generator — a really hard task, I think. IMHO this is currently only possible with a mod, which replaces the map generator. Like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/rso-mod (dunno, if that is really better with that). And on the other side it’s kind of already implemented: use small patch sizes and the chance they’re connected is quite low. And third: to generate maps with very specific conditions is not limited to this special case; there are dozens of other ideas how to generate a good map, but they are partly distinct to other ideas.

So the good old random is your friend here. You’ll find a good map by random, it just takes some time.

moving to won't implement
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”