Increase Roboport sprite size slightly

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

RedCat
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Increase Roboport sprite size slightly

Post by RedCat »

TL;DR
Increase Roboport sprite size slightly.
What ?
The Roboport looks like it doesn't occupy its top-most tile. I'd like to suggest increasing the size of the Roboport sprite slightly.

I think it would also benefit from being larger horizontally, so that it fully occupies its left and right-most tiles.
Why ?
After 400 hours in the game, I still find myself underestimating the true size of the Roboport sometimes, thinking I have an extra free tile when I don't.

Here is a screenshot illustrating the issue. As the oil refinery and chemical plant slightly extend past their tile box, it looks like the Roboport should do the same, but in actuality it occupies an extra row of tiles at the top.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (570.78 KiB) Viewed 834 times
This is perhaps not worth changing right now, as it might be too disruptive a change, but I'd like to suggest it for the upcoming DLC.

P.S. Feel free to move this to the Bug Reports forum if you think it's better suited.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Roboport sprite doesn't quite fill its tile box

Post by FuryoftheStars »

The reason the oil refinery and chem lab extend beyond their tile box so much is because of the pipe connections . All entities with "connections" (pipe and belt) extend past their tile box to help symbolize those connections. While the assembler does more completely fill it's tile grid, the only part that extends out of its tiles is that arm, which the antenna on the roboport does as well.

But I can't say as if I've ever mistaken the size of the roboport just because it doesn't perfectly fill it's space. I think the antenna extending up into the 5th row makes that clear to me? Either that or I just have it ingrained into my mind that it's a 4x4 entity, so the rest doesn't matter.

All of that said, I don't really care ether way. Just with your post and as I started looking at it, I thought you were referring to the 5th row above the roboport cause I automatically see that 4th row as occupied, so it took me a while of looking at it and puzzling and then wanting to test in game just to make sure I wasn't misremembering the entity size before I realized what you were actually talking about. :P

But this does make me realize something else: rails and rail signals (not chain) don't fully occupy their space when placed horizontally, either, whereas they do vertically.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

All that comes from the fact that Factorio looks like a 3d game, but is all faked. :)

With the roboport I also have this problem. I always need to think “it’s 4x4, it’s 4x4, not 3x3!”. I’m not sure from where that comes, but indeed the difference in size between a chemical plant and the roboport this barely visible. And that’s also true for other entities.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I agree, I also have this proglem. It's hard to eyeball the 4x4 based on the sprite only.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”