Ctrl+lmb imunity for player's filtered storage

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Ctrl+lmb imunity for player's filtered storage

Post by Defective_Soul »

TL;DR
Can you add in game feature wich will prevent filtered items from player inventory beeng moved to ther storage when ctrl+lmb used ?
What ?
So far if player wish to dedicate (filter) one of inventory cells to item their content will be moved to if player use ctrl+lmb (next just move all) feature then items in those filteret cells will move too making times when player wana put in free (non-filthered like in assembeling machines)
I suggest that for personal inventory when player use move all feature on non-filthered cells move only unfilteret cells content, vice versa for filtered, move from them items only if move all click was on blue cell
Why ?
It will make a way easier inventory managing when dilivery bots and trash system not yet unlocked or hawe questionable efficiency (like runing bot over insane sized sized base with just few iron plates or so)
As well it will allow player to make inventory more personal as well as manage wich part they wana use as cache/trash/cargo by their own
+ it realy uncool when you wana move some items by hand but laying you items before in in other crate will also move all handy stuff like fix kits extra munition drones and etc

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ctrl+lmb imunity for player's filtered storage

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, for me completely unreadable. No point, no comma, I really don’t understand this after trying to read it five times.
Perhaps native English speakers can “translate”, but if not and no further explanation I will move it to won’t implement. 8-)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Defective_Soul »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:18 am
Sorry, for me completely unreadable. No point, no comma, I really don’t understand this after trying to read it five times.
Perhaps native English speakers can “translate”, but if not and no further explanation I will move it to won’t implement. 8-)
There is keybinds for fast inventory manipulations. One of them is ctrl lmb wich will try to move whole inventory if space avielable. In past when toolbar was done as inventory it was saving items form this mass move, now when toolbar works as links to inventory's content there is chance of moving thing you need. Since so i sugest to make filtered (blue) cells of player's inventory imune to this mass move (ctrl lmb moving)
Got it now ?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, understood.

Not sure that I like it. In my eyes if you click ctrl+lmb I want to empty as much as possible. Which isn’t generally a very good idea on your personal inventory I think. ;)
Adding a filter to prevent this means also you cannot use ctrl+lmb anymore for these items. What if you really want to empty your inventory as fast as possible? I think of picking up your dead body: to pick up the inventory from it you eventually need to clear your inventory before that. Bad, if the filter prevents you from doing that, while biters and worms attack you.

So a rare usecase (ctrl+lmb on your inventory, I dunno, when I would use that) conflict with that common situation.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I definitely wouldn't want the current CTRL+LMB behavior changed. There are times I want to dump all of an item, regardless of filter. I just use Shift+LMB when I want a more controlled (partial) dump. Either in the sense of Shift+LMB the number of stacks I don't want, or, conversely, CTRL+LMB the whole thing, then simply Shift+LMB back what I want to keep.

You could add an option, but then there may be times where you don't want the behavior. What then? Dig back through the options to turn it off, do the CTRL+LMB move, then turn it back on? Or, do CTRL+LMB on the non-filtered items, then Shift+LMB on the filtered?

I'd vote to leave the behavior as is. Either way has use cases that will not fit perfectly, but I find the current one fits better more frequently than I suspect the proposed one would.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Defective_Soul »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:33 pm
I definitely wouldn't want the current CTRL+LMB behavior changed. There are times I want to dump all of an item, regardless of filter. I just use Shift+LMB when I want a more controlled (partial) dump. Either in the sense of Shift+LMB the number of stacks I don't want, or, conversely, CTRL+LMB the whole thing, then simply Shift+LMB back what I want to keep.

You could add an option, but then there may be times where you don't want the behavior. What then? Dig back through the options to turn it off, do the CTRL+LMB move, then turn it back on? Or, do CTRL+LMB on the non-filtered items, then Shift+LMB on the filtered?

I'd vote to leave the behavior as is. Either way has use cases that will not fit perfectly, but I find the current one fits better more frequently than I suspect the proposed one would.
Why then don't make shift+ctr+lmb to move only filtered or unfilteret items ?

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Defective_Soul wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:23 pm
Why then don't make shift+ctr+lmb to move only filtered or unfilteret items ?
How about adding an extra click rather than an extra modifier?
Currently Ctrl-lmb moves the clicked stack or the whole inventory when clicking an empty slot. So double ctrl-lmb clears the whole inventory.
This could be changed so that a click on an empty slot first tries to move unfiltered items, and if there are none, then move filtered items. Then transferring the whole inventory will need at most 3 ctrl-lmb clicks.

Regardless of the keybind, this should also apply to other filterable inventories, e.g. wagons.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Nidan wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:14 pm
Currently Ctrl-lmb moves the clicked stack
Just a minor correction, that is Shift+LMB. CTRL+LMB moves all stacks of the clicked item.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”