Configurable screen edge for hot-/shortcut-bars

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

blahfasel2000
Inserter
Inserter

Configurable screen edge for hot-/shortcut-bars

Post by blahfasel2000 »

TL;DR
Make the screen edge (top, bottom, left, right) used for the hot- and shortcut bars (and the attached alerts if applicable) configurable.

What ?
I think the TL;DR basically covers it already. Maybe exclude the right side as an option as that is already in use by the minimap and tooltips.
Why ?
Because the screen is (usually) wider than it is high having the main UI on one of the sides (left, right) would provide less view interference especially in combat situations. With the bars at the bottom center where they are now I find it very noticeably more difficult to fight alien nests when approaching them from the north than from any other direction, as on a 1920x1080 screen even fully zoomed out you can barely see a nest at the bottom of the screen before you come into worm range, especially if you have 3 or 4 bars visible. And not just combat, eg. accurately placing long blueprints in a north/south direction is also more difficult than in an east/west direction because of the inherently smaller field of view in that direction further reduced by the UI.

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Configurable screen edge for hot-/shortcut-bars

Post by lyvgbfh »

This would be really nice for playing at 21:9

Xenophore
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenophore »

This is an excellent idea.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

lyvgbfh wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:52 pm
This would be really nice for playing at 21:9
Agreed
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I think they should be nonmodal dialogs that can be dragged and placed anywhere. Including the ability to drag to another monitor. And the positions and layouts should be remembered. (And the place on the left of center where the weapons and armor are accessed; should be a separate dialog that can be moved.)

Also, it would be nice to be able to adjust the center icon area to allow a 2 by 20 grouping or even a 1 by 40.
This will spread things out on a wide screen monitor and give more room to the main window.
Or maybe allow a vertical bar on one side or the other. Similar in how the Windows Taskbar can be dragged and placed either horizontally on the bottom or top, or vertically on either side.

Basically, all elements of the 'HUD' should be adjustable in shape and placement.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Some of these things will surely not implemented, because Factorio has its own window system and uses only the canvas of the opened window/screen. No dragging of windows to another screen…
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”