fog-of-war indicate(-able) on minimap

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

fog-of-war indicate(-able) on minimap

Post by Honktown »

There's no way to indicate where chunks aren't updating on the minimap. An interface option or map-button to see fog all the time would be nice.

When placing radar for example, the fog is shown, but otherwise, only the zoomed-out map view will indicate it:
fogged.png
fogged.png (54.15 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: fog-of-war indicate(-able) on minimap

Post by ssilk »

Do you mean with fog the direct radar coverage or the total range that will slowly uncovered?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

There used to be option for it (I don't remember if it got into any release, though), but kovarex removed it due to "there being too many options" ... so I don't think it's gonna make a comeback.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:16 am
Do you mean with fog the direct radar coverage or the total range that will slowly uncovered?
The currently visible chunks. The same view when one opens the map and can see which chunks are visible and not, in contrast to the normal minimap where all the chunks are bright.
posila wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:56 pm
There used to be option for it (I don't remember if it got into any release, though), but kovarex removed it due to "there being too many options" ... so I don't think it's gonna make a comeback.
Bummer :( . Thanks.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

posila wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:56 pm
There used to be option for it (I don't remember if it got into any release, though), but kovarex removed it due to "there being too many options" ...
Well, there is no “too many options”, because it is just UI-design how to hide them.

And in general I would say that the minimap lacks something like “usage cases”. When I’m building I want to see chunks borders. When I build a radar I want to see the radar-coverage.When I’m outside from the factory I want increased range. When an alarm is nearby I want the map be enlarged into that direction. Etc.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:35 am
Well, there is no “too many options”, because it is just UI-design how to hide them.
It is also something that will have to be supported. It's not only an UI design thing it's also cluttering the code for minor things only an infinitesimal minority of users will make use of.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I’m sure — as I understood it — it’s already in the code; how would you see that on the real map screen?. It’s an option for the routine that prints a map. It’s just the GUI-switch that’s missing.

And for the GUI: how about just hovering over a radar in the minimap turns this feature on (as long as you hover over the radar)? This mechanism could be useful for other things like highlighting assemblies with the same recipe or highlighting single belts or pipes so that you can follow them easier.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”