race slots, for enemies, so you could download multiple races, and have the game pick one for a playthrough.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MasterW3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

race slots, for enemies, so you could download multiple races, and have the game pick one for a playthrough.

Post by MasterW3 »

i need a MOD that picks one of, say 4 races, and implemnents them for a game.
during that playthrough, it only uses the race of enemies chosen for that playthrough.

1. regular biters.
2. some humanoid beasties.
3. some land squid fellers. throw some water dwellers in there, like crocs.
4. variety of life maybe some flyers... don't know.. just pick one ...cheetahs,, lions and tigers and wooly mammoths
5. etc.. more races.. for the people that want to try it all.. just download and pick one to use, or let the game decide which you are fighting today...

i think this will add to the playability of the game, give me some variety of things to deal with.
i like some of the ideas that people have come up with, but i want to be able to pick a series of monsters and "plug them in".
add a few races to the game...

i guess what i am getting at:
could it be that we can have multiple races installed to choose from, at random, for a playthrough?

i saw some good variety of creature mods that look pretty cool, need to do some research on them tho, see what i like to try.
but it would be nice, to download a bunch of creature mods, and let the game decide which ones i am fighting off this time!
surprise, you get the cougar attacks this playthrough ! with two headed mammoth attacks in the late game !
or you might get the lizard men .. and their fire breathing dragon daddy in late game...

so i guess that is it, i want multiple races to be plugged into the game.
if there is a MOD that do this, that would be great, tell me where to go.
thing is, i had a stroke, and it has affected me, i cant do things that other people take for granted, my typing is horrendous.

WHY do you think it increases the value of Factorio as a game?
variety, it is the spice of life, and i think it would be cool to try out, fighting off who knows what.. and imagine, if you use the space exploration mod, then you might be able to have different creatures on different planets !
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed Title , because it’s clear that it is a suggestion and uppercase is not useful

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: race slots, for enemies, so you could download multiple races, and have the game pick one for a playthrough.

Post by ssilk »

I don’t move this to Ideas and Requests For Mods , because before that could be implemented the game needs to support more types of enemies. Because a mod cannot handle all the movements and other behavior without massive cpu-usage.

In general I point here also to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=139 Enemy Variations / Enemy Variety / New Enemies / Boss
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MasterW3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: race slots, for enemies, so you could download multiple races, and have the game pick one for a playthrough.

Post by MasterW3 »

so if it cant be modded. can it be made to handle multiple 'races' of enemies?
then you would be totally able to select one or more races at the start, or have it pick at random, the races you will fight in that playthrough.
it IS a big step, but if you set the original biters as an array, set as 0, then any that people would add would be 1, 2, 3, etc.
there would need to be flag set (monster race) or some such, so that the game would know the mod is a new race of monstewrs.

so i guess i would be requesting the game to be set to accept multiple races of enemies.
it would add a much needed replayablity

and thing of the space exploration mod, havent tried it myself, but world after world of the same mob type is kinda bleh...

and dont worry about cpu usage, that is up to the machines of the players, they can always upgrade their computers if they cant handle it.
besides that, you could implement it as an OPTION, c heck this box if you think your pc can handle it...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MasterW3 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:32 pm
so if it cant be modded. can it be made to handle multiple 'races' of enemies?
There are several mods, that modify the parameters, the current prototypes provide and give them different names or even different sprites. They modify speed, agility, fire distance, resistance to different types of weapons, etc. But I don’t see that as a new race, it’s just a kind of specialization of existing races (there are just the four biters, spitters, worms and nests, https://wiki.factorio.com/Enemies )
then you would be totally able to select one or more races at the start, or have it pick at random, the races you will fight in that playthrough.
it IS a big step, but if you set the original biters as an array, set as 0, then any that people would add would be 1, 2, 3, etc.
there would need to be flag set (monster race) or some such, so that the game would know the mod is a new race of monstewrs.
This is not how it works. As modder I normally want to specify enemies, that enables me to provide a specific game experience. As game designer I do the same, but more advanced on a deeper level.

I recommend to try out some mods, that implemented kind of new enemies, like those digging worms. So you see what I mean. If you don’t find some I can help.
so i guess i would be requesting the game to be set to accept multiple races of enemies.
it would add a much needed replayablity
Sorry, but I don’t see the point in that. New types of enemies have the potential to add a lot of trouble to the game. Often wanted for example are worms that are able to dig under the defenses. Sounds like a good idea and quite logical. Some modders have made something like that, but afaik the result of that is very questionable game-play-wise. The community hasn’t made any effort to go deeper into that. So I think this isn’t that brilliant. But assuming that we would have much more different types of enemies, then the chance, that their special behavior influences the game in a negative way is quite high and rises with the number of enemy-types.
and thing of the space exploration mod, havent tried it myself, but world after world of the same mob type is kinda bleh...
I understand, but it depends on what you understand under “new types of enemies”. As said, my definition is https://wiki.factorio.com/Enemies
and dont worry about cpu usage, that is up to the machines of the players, they can always upgrade their computers if they cant handle it.
You completely forgot multiplayer. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”