Bring Back the Rocket Launch Counter! (Please).

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

lsc9x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Bring Back the Rocket Launch Counter! (Please).

Post by lsc9x »

So far, I haven't really had a single complaint about the game, but this one was glaringly visible (or invisible as the case may be...)

There used to be a box in the upper left hand corner that showed you the total number rockets launched - from all silos. For whatever reason it's gone now and I think something is missing from the game.

Yes, you can just mouse over the rocket silo to see how many units were produced, but what if you have 100 rocket silos? At this point trying to count the number of TOTAL rockets launched becomes a complete nightmare, not to mention that your count will be drastically off by the time you have checked 100 missile silos.

I can see where the devs might think the box was just ugly and unnecessary, but in fact, myself along with MANY other players used (past tense) the rocket launch counter to make calculations like the number of launched rockets per minute, or the amount of science packs produced over a period of time.

Maybe we could split the difference and just make the rocket counter box an option in settings? That would probably make everyone happy. Players could choose whether to use the rocket launch counter box or not, and everyone who thinks the box is ugly can turn it off.

I think getting rid of the rocket launch counter was a step backwards for Factorio's end game play!

lsc9x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Bring Back the Rocket Launch Counter! (Please).

Post by lsc9x »

PS: I don't want to use a mod because that will disable achievements in the game.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bring Back the Rocket Launch Counter! (Please).

Post by Stringweasel »

I don't think they should put it back in, because it doesn't really fit Factorio's clean UI. But there are a few vanilla ways to do it. You can, as you mentioned, mouse over the rocket silo. Or you could go into the production window, go the the "All" tab, and see the amount of satellites consumed (assuming you're sending satellites).

My favourite way would probably be to setup a combinator counter to count the rocket launches. This should be quite easy, and easy to hook up to multiple silos. My guess is that it would actually be counting the satellites being inserted anyway. You could even hook up a big combinator display to it as well, which there are plenty of blueprints available for. Could look quite cool :)
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”