Add cambinator training to the in-game tutorial.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Add cambinator training to the in-game tutorial.

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

Even though I've been playing for 2 years, there are things I can't fully grasp, especially "Combinators"; sushi belts etc...

There's a nice wiki on the web and in-game, lots of information on the web. There are tutorial channels on youtube. I'm aware of all of them, but the things learned with "experience" embedded in the game are more useful and practical.

-clock setup
-sushi belt
-counters
-balanced loading and unloading

etc.

If the information is transferred from the wiki to the game, it will be useful for "stupid xd" players like me.

For example, there (wiki) is a nice explanation here, but it is not suitable for idiots :D. :) The most important thing is "how" to use; For a game of "why" to use, a tutorial would be perfect.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Combinator_tutorial

Thanks to Factorio family for this legendary game...
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105093
Beacon domain & Cable access area coloring (Color Tone variations)

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Add cambinator training to the in-game tutorial.

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

Very briefly, for example: What is the difference between a simple x>10k (x for example liquid) i>20 (charge) directly connected to a pump/switch etc., with an SR latch? What's the point of using mixed things when you can do without a combiner? What am I missing?

What I really want is that many systems will be used "why?" NOT "how".

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Much of it I think is more optional. For example, a sushi belt is simply a personal choice of reducing the number of belts/overall size of the setup, but at the expense of individual item throughput.

That said, for some people (like myself), hands on usage/training is always superior and as such I'd like to see this, too. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

oyunbagimlisi wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:43 pm
Very briefly, for example: What is the difference between a simple x>10k (x for example liquid) i>20 (charge) directly connected to a pump/switch etc., with an SR latch? What's the point of using mixed things when you can do without a combiner? What am I missing?

What I really want is that many systems will be used "why?" NOT "how".
That question makes no sense: "What's the difference between an orange?" And a directly connected pump/switch can't have 2 conditions, so the orange isn't even possible.

Maybe you should show 2 blueprints so people can actually understand what you are talking about.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mrvn wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:29 am
And a directly connected pump/switch can't have 2 conditions, so the orange isn't even possible.
I think there may be a grammar/translation mistake in there. Note they start with "what is the difference between", meaning there should probably be an "and" in there somewhere, I'm assuming between the x>10k and i>20, meaning two different setups.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:01 pm
mrvn wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:29 am
And a directly connected pump/switch can't have 2 conditions, so the orange isn't even possible.
I think there may be a grammar/translation mistake in there. Note they start with "what is the difference between", meaning there should probably be an "and" in there somewhere, I'm assuming between the x>10k and i>20, meaning two different setups.
Likely. But guessing what the original was before autotranslation is a waste of time if the goal is to figure out what the actual circuit did.

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

1. Question: What is the difference between pictures a1-a2?

For me:
a1 and b1: simple, useful, understandable.
a2 and b2: complex, difficult, the difference in function is incomprehensible.

2. Question: What is the difference between b1-b2 pictures?

3. Question: why do i want a tutorial?

What I see vs described on the wiki:

wiki:

what i see

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

If you connect the accumulators directly then the switch will stutter. The power will drop below 10, the switch activates the steam engines charge the accumulators, the switch deactivates the next tick.

Now there is not much wrong with that but try opening a power pole. The electric network will merge and split every tick making the electric network graphs unusable because they loose all information on the merge on one side and flicker on the other (and it's random which side looses information).

With the RS latch the steam engine activate when power is < 20% and stay active until power is >90%. So they switch far less often and the electric network graphs remain usable.

It might also affect UPS to merge/split the electrical networks every tick but I haven't measured that.

Same idea with the oil although I can't give you a good reason why you need to do it there.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is again a proof, that the circuit network needs some improvements to make it more user-friendly.

A planing mode, where you see only the stylized symbols, a debug mode to see the signal flow and many more stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41176 Improve Basic Circuit Overview
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”