HUD Science research velocity / stall indicator

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

osndok
Inserter
Inserter

HUD Science research velocity / stall indicator

Post by osndok »

The science research progress indicator on the top right of the screen is quite useful and informative as it stands:
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-618ec141.png
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-618ec141.png (8.99 KiB) Viewed 652 times
However, when you have a large base, the first sign that "something is wrong" can often be that "the percentage hasn't changed in a while"... which is not ideal, as it is a derived/negative indication.

I think it would be good to have some kind of positive alert instead. For example, if <50% of science facilities are operating, there could be a soft warning indication:
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-A-618ec141.png
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-A-618ec141.png (31.82 KiB) Viewed 652 times
...and if zero science facilities are operating, there could be a red warning:
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-B-618ec141.png
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-B-618ec141.png (31.54 KiB) Viewed 652 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: HUD Science research velocity / stall indicator

Post by mrvn »

You could calculate the expected speed for the existing labs and measure the recent (e.g. 10 minutes) speed and give a % value for the research speed. Then turn the value yellow when <50% and red when <10% or something.

An ETA is also useful. I use https://mods.factorio.com/mod/research-progress

osndok
Inserter
Inserter

Re: HUD Science research velocity / stall indicator

Post by osndok »

On the zany side of things, it may be possible to have an interface akin to the old "RCI Meter", that would tell you at a glance which science pack, if any, was the problem.

So a glance at this indicator might reveal that blue science is a problem? ...only half serious, I'm sure someone could think of something better. :)
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-618ecaa9.png
Factorio-Better-StalledScienceIndicator-618ecaa9.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”