Let spidertron ride a train

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Let spidertron ride a train

Post by shopt »

So this is probably too much work for the benefit, but thought I would post this as it would be cool and useful, even though it will probably be mercilessly shot down :)
TL;DR
Let a spidertron be transported by train

What ?
* Give spidertron the ability to climb on top of a wagon (possibly a new dedicated spidertron wagon) and ride it.
* Possibly it needs to be put there by a trackside entity (thinking about implementation here, this may make it easier to give the necessary orders).
* Add a new toggle to spidertron's auto targeting for "on train" (or just disable auto targeting on when it's on a train)
* Maybe add a new train wait condition for the number of spidertrons on the train.
Why ?
Giving spidertron orders by remote is useful to do construction or attack biters. Sometimes the distances are too large that it would take ages to get there. Sometimes there is a lake in the way and you need heaps of waypoints to get spidertron to go around it instead of gazing into the lake. You can deconstruct the spidertron, ride a train with the spidertron in your backpack, then place it at the other end, but that involves the character having to go there, and will empty the spidertron's inventory. At that point, the remote is close to pointless.

This would significantly enhance spidertron as a remote controlled problem solver by being able to get to the places where you want a problem solved.

Also it would look cool (not sure whether the art department loves me or hates me at this point).
Why Not?
* Potential balance issues around (ab)using the spidertron's inventory and/or equipment grid while on a train (cars on belts? cargo wagon chests?). Can't think of much at this stage beyond a train with lasers and rockets.
* Removes the impetus to keep spidertrons deployed and supplied throughout your factory. Maybe makes an already powerful vehicle too OP.
* Potentially viewtopic.php?t=92442 combined with transporting a deconstructed spidertron and building spidertron by blueprint at the other end is the better approach, though that does rely on bots at the end, and maybe more clicks too.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Let spidertron ride a train

Post by Pi-C »

You should check out the Vehicle Wagons mod!
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

Thanks for the mod link, sounds like it gives almost everything I asked for.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

The spider is totally disabled while riding, but keeps all its equipment and setings. You can load/unload from the map view.

Let me know if there are any bugs/features you think are missing!

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

robot256 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:36 pm
The spider is totally disabled while riding, but keeps all its equipment and setings. You can load/unload from the map view.

Let me know if there are any bugs/features you think are missing!
I don't think the spidertron being disabled while loaded is a problem.

Only played around a bit, a few minor annoyances I found:
* The vehicles don't count as cargo, so I can't see a way to use a vehicle being loaded/unloaded as a train wait condition. Not sure how usable this would be during actual play, as you would probably want to manually give the train a destination each time. Maybe if you wanted the train to automatically go and wait somewhere safer once all vehicles were unloaded? Or in combination with the point below, you could queue actions all the way up to the vehicle being unloaded at the destination.
* The other thing that would be nice is some sort of trackside inserter/gantry/crane that could auto load/unload a vehicle when it stopped in the correct area.
* The graphics would look cool if the spider "grabbed onto" the wagon with its legs. Probably heaps of work and not worth it, but doesn't hurt to float the idea.

No idea how hard any of those are, but they are all minor issues/request. Overall I'm quite happy with the mod.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

It sounds like Vehicle Wagons is a good fit for you. I’d also submit my mod, Spidertron Enhancements for consideration, which lets you ride trains as a spidertron. It only works if you are riding with the spidertron though.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”