Questlines [Map-Independant Quests and Stories]

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Questlines [Map-Independant Quests and Stories]

Post by UberWaffe »

(Last Edited: 2014/05/11 07:58 +02:00)
Userstory:
Something that had breathed a lot of extra life into Minecraft for me was the HQM mod, which basically allows multiple simultaneous quests (usually with an associated story) to be defined.
Given that such quests could be applied even to randomly generated maps (as opposed to just specifically defines scenarios), it allowed for a great amount of replayability.
Additionally, given the typical freedom you (as the story author) have in choosing the objectives and timing, this added a great means of both teaching, guiding and even pushing players.
I feel that a similar modular system (of quests with possible associated story) could provide a lot of value to Factorio.

Currently Factorio already allows for stories (Story.lua allows for a single questline) but does not support multiple simultaneous stories.
This limits the possible quests. For example, custom code would currently be required to implement a main quest while simultaneously having timed side-quests.
A simple GUI means to display the quest lines (Example of HQM mod from Minecraft: http://i.imgur.com/rA1bplb.png) would also help a lot.
(Example of the workings of the HQM mod for Minecraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOYqTvfeHcg. The type of objectives you have, how rewards work, the workings of repeatable quests, etc.)

Prerequisites:
None.

Game-value:
Extended game re-playability. (Can change how any map, even random ones, play out.)
Enhanced game-play. (Interactive story-telling)

Developer-costs:
Unknown. Without knowing the code base and people I have no way to even guess this.

User-opinions:
None yet.

Full blurb:
(Originally posted here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 288#p79288)
Last edited by UberWaffe on Mon May 11, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Questlines [Map-Independant Quests and Stories]

Post by bobingabout »

Don't we already have the abillity to write in quests and stuff?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I think he means quests like in KSP, where while freeplaying you can complete random generated objectives in order to get more money (or in case of factorio, resources, techs or some unique rewards). That's something I'd also like to have here as part of diverse gameplay.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

For me this is a mod, that helps generating mods. Or do I see something wrong with it? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

@bobingabout: If this is already possible I apologise. I had not found any references to quests or objectives that fit this idea on either the wiki or the result pages of the searches I did.
If the decision is that such functionality be created ad-hoc via scripts, that is fine.

I am mainly suggesting something along the lines of a lua library for handling multiple active stories.

Looking at Story.lua it seemed to me to be able to handle a single active story at a time.
So to have multiple simultaneous story branches (or questlines) I would have to code the handling of it in lua.
I figured an already provided lua library to handle that could make sense.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

I think we need to clarify what this suggestion is actually about.
I first read it as a "generate random quests at random time intervals to keep the player busy" (like psorek did). I would oppose such a suggestion, as for me, Factorio is all about automation, so quests popping up that require manual intervention contradict that. Besides, even in an MP game, you are already busy enough with trying to automate/optimize things.

The discussion and clarification by UberWaffe, however, make be believe the suggestion is about improving on the current story/quest system/support (I am happy to stand corrected). In this regard, I believe there is room for improving the API we can use to define quests, especially when it comes to side quests / main quests and parallel quests. I do however believe that in the wake up development progression, the devs will eventually want to define more complex missions and as a result of that improve on the authoring mechanism.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

I've attempted to clarify what I mean a bit (See updated original post).
The best means I can do this is with a link to a video showcasing the HQM mod for Minecraft (which this suggestion is a copy of.)
I was trying to avoid having to waste people's time with a video, but my explaining skills are obviously lacking.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, then it it is a "more random, without time-limit Tight Spot Scenario-Challenge"?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, I'm fairly sure most of the coding should be in there already, because I've played the scenario pack, some of the missions in there could possibly be coded into randomly generated missions in the mainstream game, Perhaps as a new game mode with a randomly generated map, complete with custom settings. (like sandbox is now, just with missions)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

ssilk wrote:Ok, then it it is a "more random, without time-limit Tight Spot Scenario-Challenge"?
No, it is more like "an extended story lua library (or libraries) to help make scenario creation easier." along with "The ability to create a scenario that uses a randomly generated map."

bobingabout wrote:Yeah, I'm fairly sure most of the coding should be in there already, because I've played the scenario pack, some of the missions in there could possibly be coded into randomly generated missions in the mainstream game, Perhaps as a new game mode with a randomly generated map, complete with custom settings. (like sandbox is now, just with missions)
You are right, I am mainly proposing for an expansion on the current lua functionality.
New interfaces to code also likely, for example if we want StarCraft 1 style "transmissions with text, audio and animated character portraits.", which I'm pretty sure is currently not possible.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

UberWaffe wrote:
ssilk wrote:Ok, then it it is a "more random, without time-limit Tight Spot Scenario-Challenge"?
No, it is more like "an extended story lua library (or libraries) to help make scenario creation easier." along with "The ability to create a scenario that uses a randomly generated map."
Ok, then I answer:
ssilk 08 May 2015 wrote:For me this is a mod, that helps generating mods. Or do I see something wrong with it? :)

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lutra »

for an example watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdYRQr ... rlDdm-izkt . i imagine the system would be relatively easy to make as a mod- use a similar system as techs for unlocking quests, the supply scenario could be utilised for quest delivery and game.local_player.insert for rewards. the quests could include building a certain number of machines and submitting a number of a certain resource produced by said machine. quests could easily be submitted by people- make the mod use a folder for the quests which consist of a text file containing description, requirements and rewards... i tried but i'm not brilliant at it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lutra »

ok. here's what i've got so far. there is no functionality(yet) because factorio does not support reading text files, so all the quests will have to be put directly into control.lua. i also still need to create the functionality of the 'quest delivery system', but that seems simpler as i can use [entity.get_item_count].
Attachments
upon starting a new game
upon starting a new game
game start.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 5984 times
quests_0.12.29.zip
the mod file
(9.95 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lutra »

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You mean more like
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=23491 Quest Mode!

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lutra »

ah. yes. sorry. i changed the thread. oops

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”