[Train] New wait condition to compliment v1.1 — condition to not skip stations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BinarySpike
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Train] New wait condition to compliment v1.1 — condition to not skip stations

Post by BinarySpike »

Trains are my current stumbling block. I can't seem to get a world past 3-4 trains before I get frustrated with trying to make them dynamic. Thankfully, v1.1 is bringing the train limit to train stations.

I've started building a "big" train network in my v1.0 world to accommodate the v1.1 changes. I think an extra setting would compliment the v1.1 train limit very well:

A train wait condition for the availability of the next station. That is, "Next station is active". This would allow per-station anti-skip. An alternative would be a whole-train setting of "don't skip stations" which would be equivalent to having a "Next station is active" wait condition on every station.

I'm aware that using the circuit network to setting the train-limit to 0 would be a similar effect. However, that's on a station basis, this change would be on a individual train basis. If provided per station wait condition entry, then it would be on a per-train-per-station basis.

I think this would provide flexibility and compliment the v1.1 update well.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Train] New wait condition to compliment v1.1 — condition to not skip stations

Post by Koub »

Kind of off topic, but I think you meant complement instead of compliment ;)

Now back to the core of the stuff : If I understand your need, you want to have conditions for deciding if a train should go to a station in addition to the existing conditions to leave a station, like in this suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BinarySpike
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Train] New wait condition to compliment v1.1 — condition to not skip stations

Post by BinarySpike »

Koub wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:01 am
you want to have conditions for deciding if a train should go to a station in addition to the existing conditions to leave a station
Not quite. When you turn off all stations in a train's list—and when it's time for that train to path to that station—it will skip that station. In my case I want the train to wait at it's current location until the next location is available.

I posted on the 'train-help' section of discord and the answer I got was simply: Place a no-path'able station with the same name as the station you don't want skipped.
The result is that when the train goes to leave it's station, it get's a no-path error because none of the pathable stations are open, only the no-path'able.

This is on a per-station (group) basis. Instead of using a no-path'able station, My recommendation is a wait condition for a per-train-per-condition basis.

Here's an example manifest:

Code: Select all

> Iron Pickup
	- Full Cargo inventory
> Iron Dropoff
	- Empty Cargo Inventory
> Exit Stacker
	- Next station is active
Based on FF-361 Changing a train limit to 0 has a similar effect but on a per-station basis.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

1.1 trains will be great.

In the mean time, are you building single or dual directional trains? Dual directional single track trains are quite a bit more difficult to signal correctly for 3+ trains.

However two lane single directional track is much easier for beginner players to master. Have you tried them?

Admittedly there is a learning curve, but following the basic rules...
Use a regular signal after a merge, and at regular intervals of your max train length
Use a chain signal before a split or a merge

You will soon figure it out with some persistence.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:59 pm
1.1 trains will be great.

In the mean time, are you building single or dual directional trains? Dual directional single track trains are quite a bit more difficult to signal correctly for 3+ trains
I don’t think he has a signaling issue. It seems to me he just wants a train to be forced to visit every station in order, but also be able to disable stations in the schedule.

I don’t think there is an issue with having to place a copy unpathable station, but the op seems to want another way for convenience.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”