insert overflow parts into chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Don't let me remove my MK2 Armor if I will spill stacks

Post by DRY411S »

Instead of stacks of stuff spilling on the floor if I accidentally remove my MK2 Armor, can I have an error message instead, similar to if I try and place a stack on my toolbelt that is reserved for a different item.

Obviously, if removing my Armor wouldn't spill stuff, then I'd be allowed to do it.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Don't let me remove my MK2 Armor if I will spill stacks

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Ahah I've done that before... right over my main bus so much of it got carried away on belts and I had to go hunting it all down.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Ahah I've done that before... right over my main bus so much of it got carried away on belts and I had to go hunting it all down.
Ouch, I've done it when it's spread around the gaps between oil processing, station oil unloader (no belts), and out in the wilds around defensive walls. What a nightmare to spill stuff onto belts!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Reminds me of the old days when mining a chest meant the game freezing for 10 minutes, and when it finally unlocked, the ground was tiled with it's junk.

I thought spilling didn't really happen anymore...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

bobingabout wrote:Reminds me of the old days when mining a chest meant the game freezing for 10 minutes, and when it finally unlocked, the ground was tiled with it's junk.

I thought spilling didn't really happen anymore...
That particular spill doesn't happen anymore, but fast-replacing a chest with a smaller one or canceling a crafting order with not enough space in the inventory for the return items will also cause a spill.

The examples above don't really happen very often to me as I usually remember that they can cause spill and check my inventory beforehand. Spill when removing my armor though has happened to me recently, mostly by accident, when I tried to open it instead and messed up the left/right mouse-buttons.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Prevent accidental armor extraction

Post by voddan »

A right-click on an armor opens it up, while a left-click extracts it. I found myself mixing those 2 up and left-clicking my armor by mistake instead of right-clicking it.

The problem is it that if I have more items with my (modular) armor than I could normally carry, the extra items are left on the ground around me (since there is no free space for them without the armor on). Collecting them back sucks :/

Solutions I see:
- add a conformation dialog when a user tries to extract the armor while having more items than she can carry (the described situation)
- put the extra items in chests (if available on the user) so that they can be easily be picked up
- add the mining animation with a time delay to the armor extraction. That may probably require switching the armor extraction to the right-click (as all mining)

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Prevent accidental armor extraction

Post by mp0011 »

...or, just play same sound alert, as when user tries to deconstruct chest full of items, with no inventory space, and cancel action.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

insert overflow parts into chest

Post by nosports »

TL;DR
When removing an assember, place overflow (or all) intregients in chests instead of on the surface

What ?
often when removing an assembler in later game with very much intregents they don't fit into the user storage.
so if the user carry some chests, remove the assembler and for overflow intregients place chests(if available in the user bag) and fill the chests with the intregients.
That leads to a chance for the user to funnel out the intregients with his prefered method and it does not litter the surface and give somewhat of a hassel to clean the mess after the bombing.... :P
Why ?
its just a good quality of life....
It's clear that this will not help every case, especially mods, but i think for a standart assemble you can place 3x3 steel chests wich will store a significant amount

GPFault
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Overloaded when cancel a build

Post by GPFault »

One of the most annoying things in Factorio is dropping items around yourself when you cancel a build. There is no (or I don't know) easy way to collect dropped items.
Overload.png
Overload.png (753.13 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
It would be nice if:
1) Factorio will not allow to cancel a build if there is no free space in inventory
2) Factorio will allow to include dropped items in Deconstruction Planner whitelist (now it's not possible)
Deconstruction Planner Whitelist.png
Deconstruction Planner Whitelist.png (868.27 KiB) Viewed 4133 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Overloaded when cancel a build

Post by eradicator »

GPFault wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 am
One of the most annoying things in Factorio is dropping items
Couldn't agree more.
GPFault wrote:
1) Factorio will not allow to cancel a build if there is no free space in inventory
There's other situations though, like taking off your armor. Maybe items should just spill with less spread (say, 3x3 tiles max).
GPFault wrote:
2) Factorio will allow to include dropped items in Deconstruction Planner whitelist (now it's not possible)
That already works, it's called "item-on-ground", should be on the last page.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with similar suggestion
Also related :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49765
and
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-256
as a small tweak to the spill logic, in 0.17 if you do end up spilling your beans, they won't land on your spaghetti:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

+1, to both scenarios.

I can't remember the condition, but I remember messing up a Spoon run when I did something and ended up with a ton of stuff landing on both the ground and belts, making such belt pollution that it took too long to clean up. I think you could hear the cursing in the next state.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

could also add my suggestion for overspilling stack....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62907

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: insert overflow parts into chest

Post by Koub »

nosports wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:54 am
could also add my suggestion for overspilling stack....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62907
[Koub] Indeed, merged (I knew I had seen something similar, just couldn't remember where :))

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Koub wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 am
[Koub] Merged into older topic with similar suggestion
Also related :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49765
and
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-256
as a small tweak to the spill logic, in 0.17 if you do end up spilling your beans, they won't land on your spaghetti:
Indeed, the beans not landing on spaghetti would help with my original request. When I have MK2 armor I've probably got bots too to pick up the spilled items using the 'items on ground' in the deconstructor.

But it would still be better in my opinion if you couldn't remove it. Same with mining an assembler. We cannot do it with chests, why can we do it with armor and assemblers, and make such a mess?

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

Can’t do it with chest? Try placing a wooden chest over a full steel chest.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I agree. Item spilling is stupid and annoying thing which have no positive value to game.

There should be at least an option that if inventory size decreases or stop to exist for whatever reason all the overflowing stuff would just disappear. Exactly like liquid tanks behave. I personally do not see any value to keep huge amounts of spilled items and would make disappearing as default behavior, but I know that many player are extremely miserly and use whole day to save single iron plate in their megabase, so maybe an option could be realistic hope.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 am
It would also greatly help if stuff spilled as stacks, instead of singular items. I guess that was originally implemented so that it's easier to see, but the amount could just as well be shown in the tooltip now that items can be "mined" with right clicking.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think there is no "stack" item, so I don't see how such stacks could end up on the ground. If they did exist, the 100+ page bots/belts flamewars would probably never have happened.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”