Railway Speed Limits

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CentricArts
Inserter
Inserter

Railway Speed Limits

Post by CentricArts »

I have a huge network of trains in my factory and as I prefer to work with a compact factory where I have to do things throughout different sides of the factory, I have a tendency to get hit by trains or have a close call with one. I'm suggesting a way to limit rail speeds in rail blocks much like the current rail signals. Maybe make rail speeds an additional feature towards the current rail signals and have a interface for it, or maybe have separate blocks to divide the signals from the rail signals.

Having speed limits will prevent having instant death if the train line is crossed on a regular basis. Additionally, you will have tons more reaction time to get off the rails before the trains hit you as you have loads more time to react. Preventing a potential death.
Attachments
709fe99d16339beed05403509b5435f7.jpg
709fe99d16339beed05403509b5435f7.jpg (773.17 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
600 hours in factorio? No problem.

zebediah49
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Railway Speed Limits

Post by zebediah49 »

There is/was a mod for declaring segments of rail to have a speed limit.

I have a parallel proposal though: a concrete floor-texture variant indicating a pedestrian crossing. If you put that under the rails, the trains will obey some appropriate speed limit when crossing that block. This would allow you to plaster your factory with speed limit tiles to affect the whole thing, and would allow others to make passive pedestrian crossings (though I personally like the gate-based ones better). It also would not require block-management (either making sure every track in/out is marked, or making sure every block is marked).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Really good ideas.
Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21899 Control Train Pathfinder (Passthru stations, Add Penalty)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Sounds good...

I'm sorry I just can't get over how amazing that factory looks! :lol: :lol:
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Train speed limit mod for 0.13 branch https://mods.factorio.com/mods/icedevml/TrainSpeedLimit
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I think such a train speed limiter should be in vanilla, especially since the mod has not been updated for 0.16.

It is crazy to have trains go full speed through the middle of your main base.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Can't you limit the speed of your trains by turning rail signals red intermittently to force trains to slow down before them?

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Drury wrote:Can't you limit the speed of your trains by turning rail signals red intermittently to force trains to slow down before them?
Yes, I guess it is possible to limit the speed of trains by forcing a signal to red briefly with the circuit network, while a train is approaching. However, as soon as the signal turns green, the train will start accelerating fully again, so the train would have to be slowed down by this method at regular intervals. Also, this would require a lot of trial and error to get the timing of the signals correct so that it slows the train down to the desired speed, and it wouldn't be very reliable, because different trains may have different acceleration (due to different fuel or due to having more cargo wagons to pull).

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Train speed limit signs

Post by husnikadam »

Hello,
as I'm used to walk with 6 "exoskeletons", I don't care of rails and I get killed everytime :D

So, I would really apreciate this feature - to limit trains speed by speed signs, which would work similary as traffic lights.
Just to set up custom max speed to not get killed every time :) It would be also good for estetical reasons.

What do you think?

Thank yo.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train speed limit signs

Post by Tekky »

I fully agree. However, this has already been suggested in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32459 Railway Speed Limits
EDIT: Meanwhile, the threads have been merged. Therefore, this link now points to the current thread.
Last edited by Tekky on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Oh, I see. I searched trought this forum, if it's not duplicite topic, but there are too many posts...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

You can't really force trains to slow down. Playing with combinators and rail signals is very tricky because confused trains close their eyes and slam the gas.

Trains do automatically stop for rail stations. You can force trains to hit a midway station and that will dramatically reduce the average speed. Unfortunately you need to do this for every crossing that you want trains to stop.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

You can get train speed limits by wiring two rail signals with the farther one set to close if yellow = 1, so it'll show "closed" when a train's approaching causing it to brake until it's actually in the protected block.. Play with spacing and such to get the speeds where you want them.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

I've found quite easy way, how to simulate a speed limit (at same time as quyxkh sugested).

It's based on queue of rail signals connected with circuit wires, and with set-up lights as "read signal" and "closed signal" set as "closed, when red signal = 1). The best way to understand is to show you, I made some example videos and blueprints (attached in file).

First speed limit blueprint slowes down trains to 90-60 km/h (depending on acceleration of train). Higher speed limits may be a little bit more complex due to using poles to extend wires.
Second speed limit blueprint slowes down trains to 40-27 km/h (depending on acceleration of train) and it can't be slowed down even more.

On my examples I used uran locomotive without any wagons and coal locomotive with 9 more wagoons.

link to youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9x2OtZf0fT
Attachments
speed limit blueprints.txt
Blueprints for 90/60 and 40/27 speed limits
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Going back to a dev perspective... no I'm not a dev, but we've had quite a few conversations about trains.

It is unlikely something such as a train signal that slows the train down will happen because... it's something extra the train has to check for.

Though, as far as ideas for trains go, this one isn't too bad from the programming perspective, and could possibly happen at a push
It is something I would like to see it happen.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

bobingabout wrote:It is unlikely something such as a train signal that slows the train down will happen because... it's something extra the train has to check for.
Since trains must check for (red) signals anyway, it would not be much extra work for the CPU or memory bandwidth if these signals also had the ability to impose a speed limit. The trains would not have to check for any additional signals.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Meanwhile, train speed limits have also been discussed in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60525 Train speed limit signs
EDIT: Meanwhile, the threads have been merged. Therefore, this link is no longer valid.

One thing I would like to add is that I would like to be able to control speed limits with the circuit network, i.e. they should be dynamic. For example, I would like to be able to reduce the speed limits if the circuit network detects a player nearby.

Additional ways for the circuit network to detect the presence of a player has been discussed in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40784 Pressure Plate (and other Dwarf Fortress things)
Last edited by Tekky on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged several topics with suggestions to address the same issue (need to limit train speed)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”