water on map

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

zggz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

water on map

Post by zggz »

Hello. We have unballanced water generation on maps. For building we are not need small water everywhere, we need big and rare oceans without islands. I have tried all setups for map generations. Now we can make just swamps on the map of Siberia.
Water from 0.15 was really good for building.
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (109.2 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (65.19 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: water on map

Post by Hannu »

It is true. I began a new game and chose high frequency of large lakes. Result is very much like that Siberian swamp. Thin isthmuses between relatively small lakes. I would like to have land areas of about 0.5-1 square kilometers and large lakes (on the order of 1 km^2) between them. I could build nice railworld so than there would be a factory in one island. Thin istmuses are nice between those landmasses because I can build scenery railroads.

It is not overwhelming problem for me to "cheat" with commands to get larger landmasses, but it would be nice to have "natural" suitable landscapes. An I think also that probably no one like to play with current swampy maps.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

So you want "frequency" to have a larger range? Sure, I can agree to that.

I like the 0.15 water structure better. It looks more natural.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

high frequency
Frequency doesn't change the average amount of water. It changes the layout. A "high frequency" makes everything shrink and a low frequency makes everything grow. The "frequency" concept is very confusing for the average player and should definitely be described better.
You want low frequency of large lakes.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

bobucles wrote:The "frequency" concept is very confusing for the average player and should definitely be described better.
In physics higher frequency means more waves per second, but each wave is proportionally shorter.
In economics high frequency trading means you make many orders compared to their individual value.
In statistics frequency is concerned about the # of instances, not total amount. 5 oil barrels have a higher frequency than 1 oil tanker.

Why, oh why, do people expect frequency to be different in factorio?

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Because high values are more and more should be more. DUH. :roll:

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Hedning1390 wrote:
bobucles wrote:The "frequency" concept is very confusing for the average player and should definitely be described better.
In physics higher frequency means more waves per second, but each wave is proportionally shorter.
In economics high frequency trading means you make many orders compared to their individual value.
In statistics frequency is concerned about the # of instances, not total amount. 5 oil barrels have a higher frequency than 1 oil tanker.

Because in factorio frequency low gives you one oil tanker while frequency high gives you one oil barrel. How is that a frequency?

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

mrvn wrote:Because in factorio frequency low gives you one oil tanker while frequency high gives you one oil barrel. How is that a frequency?
That is completely false. You may be thinking of the "size" setting.
bobucles wrote:Because high values are more and more should be more. DUH. :roll:
There are more too. Try setting biter bases to very high frequency, generate a map preview and and count the number. Now set it to very low frequency and do the same. The difference should be rather striking.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

bobucles wrote:Frequency doesn't change the average amount of water. It changes the layout. A "high frequency" makes everything shrink and a low frequency makes everything grow. The "frequency" concept is very confusing for the average player and should definitely be described better.
Yes, of course. How I did not think that. (Spatial) frequency is used in all noise algorithms exactly like you wrote. And I think "size" is threshold value above which tile has water or ore and "richness" is noise amplitude.

zggz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by zggz »

Rail world with default settings. The same seed.
In this case we need water wells.
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (204.93 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (233.07 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (234.65 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (234.71 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (234.71 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Заебали с кривой водой на карте.jpeg