Research Requirement Suggestion

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mario54bro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Research Requirement Suggestion

Post by mario54bro »

As a casual player, I was playing and researching the Artillery and realized I would not be able to make the Artillery shell as I had not researched tanks yet. I think this should be part of the requirements before you can research the Artillery.

Well, that's my two cents for now.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Research Requirement Suggestion

Post by eradicator »

That would clutter the tech tree so much it would become unreadable.

viewtopic.php?p=339162#p339162

mario54bro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mario54bro »

Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I think they should take a look at redesigning how the tree works/looks. Her is a idea that would clean up the tree and just show the item they are clicked on, the items they can research now. While showing items that have been researched and still need to be researched (but can't yet). They could have a popup list of items off the green and red items that are not displayed.

https://prnt.sc/iiextp

Not saying it needs to be this way, just saying they should look at other options. As a casual player, it took me a while to figure out what I missing to get things to work. This would help.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I agree that it would be nice if the game prevented you from researching technologies that you cannot use yet.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

the tech tree requires you to use your brain and plan. i don't want the tree dumbed down.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

That would not dumb down tech tree.
However this would increase tech tree complexity to visually display it.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

PacifyerGrey wrote:That would not dumb down tech tree.
However this would increase tech tree complexity to visually display it.
mario54bro wrote:I think this should be part of the requirements before you can research the Artillery.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I too hate it when you can research and even build an entity but then can't use it without researching more.

Its not always obvious what you even have to research to make something useful with mods.

In this case I think artillery should only be buildable when you can also build the shells. Whether the tech requires the shells first or you get the shells with the same tech I leave open.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

One of the worst tendencies of game players is to cry "dumbing down!!!" at a change to make things more easily readable and undertandable.

If the information is already there, and there's no in-game reason to make getting it challenging, surfacing that information and enabling the player to see what needs to be done to achieve their goals isn't "dumbing down the game," it's good design!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Look at this image from the other thread:

From a quick glance, even that is missing quite a few things, and when you added mods, you'd either have to make the prerequisites dynamic or leave it up to mod authors with the possibility of inaccuracies, and then it'd be even more complicated.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Jap2.0 wrote:Look at this image from the other thread
That image actually looks fine to me. I don't get what about it should be overly complex or show a breakdown in the tech tree display.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote:From a quick glance, even that is missing quite a few things [snip]
Feel free to post me a bug report. I doubt it though, as all of it was generated. Should port it to 0.16 and have a look at some large mod pack for fun i guess :P.

The problem is that the lines become too messy and cluttered to follow comfortably with the eye.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:From a quick glance, even that is missing quite a few things [snip]
Feel free to post me a bug report. I doubt it though, as all of it was generated. Should port it to 0.16 and have a look at some large mod pack for fun i guess :P.

The problem is that the lines become too messy and cluttered to follow comfortably with the eye.
The two that I noticed quickly were accumulators for the satellite and concrete for the silo.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote:The two that I noticed quickly were accumulators for the satellite and concrete for the silo.
I booted up the old code and according to the description it only fixes the requirements to craft the actual science packs. Though for rocket science that should indeed include the sattelite. But rocket recipes are weird. So yea. There seems to be a bug ;p. (Also tried to port it to 0.16 but too much work, rockets also work completely different)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:The two that I noticed quickly were accumulators for the satellite and concrete for the silo.
I booted up the old code and according to the description it only fixes the requirements to craft the actual science packs. Though for rocket science that should indeed include the sattelite. But rocket recipes are weird. So yea. There seems to be a bug ;p. (Also tried to port it to 0.16 but too much work, rockets also work completely different)
That's how it looks just fixing science dependencies :O. Yeah, now imagine that with all the other stuff added people complain about...
A couple minutes of further research showed that if you include ingredients for crafting it's also missing solar research (satellite), and advanced electronics 2 should be a prerequisite for all tier 2 modules. These additions will also require you to add optics, automation 1, and energy distribution 1, as well as some other dependencies. And I'm sure there's still plenty I'm missing - and that's just on the rocket silo tree.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote: A couple minutes of further research showed that if you include ingredients for crafting it's also missing solar research (satellite), and advanced electronics 2 should be a prerequisite for all tier 2 modules. These additions will also require you to add optics, automation 1, and energy distribution 1, as well as some other dependencies. And I'm sure there's still plenty I'm missing - and that's just on the rocket silo tree.
Atumation 1 is already in there and as far as i can tell all modules requirements are corret as they would be required by the rocket research. The only thing no in there should be specific requirements for the sattelite. Also the script only adds requirements and never removes any btw. So some things might be earlier requires than nessecary.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote: A couple minutes of further research showed that if you include ingredients for crafting it's also missing solar research (satellite), and advanced electronics 2 should be a prerequisite for all tier 2 modules. These additions will also require you to add optics, automation 1, and energy distribution 1, as well as some other dependencies. And I'm sure there's still plenty I'm missing - and that's just on the rocket silo tree.
Atumation 1 is already in there and as far as i can tell all modules requirements are corret as they would be required by the rocket research. The only thing no in there should be specific requirements for the sattelite. Also the script only adds requirements and never removes any btw. So some things might be earlier requires than nessecary.
Sorry, I was talking about the requirements for the things unlocked by the research - second tier modules require processing units, which require advanced electronics 2. Also, I meant logistics 1 as a requirement for some of the others.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The current research tree is pretty good, but I do agree that finding the potion unlocks leaves much to be desired. I know I've spent a long time digging through the tech tree to find the 0.15 sciences, and that's how it was when I KNEW how to play! Potions are very core to the flow of the game, so I think their path should be better revealed to the player. If you need to use the search bar to find them, then they're too well hidden.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”