Train horn when approaching player

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train horn when approaching player

Post by mp0011 »

No, train should not stop if player is detected on the track. It's part of The Fun.

However, when the "train brake indicator" (the red dot, in debug options) is within eg. 8 tiles from the player, and train is moving or starting, train should just horn. Not to brake, not to stop. Just a warning. So You know You are going to die if You do not move...

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train horn when approaching player

Post by TheRaph »

+1
Like this idea.
I would expand it. In reality there are honk/whistle for short warnings and bell ringing for parts of track.
So there may a horn for player in range. And two signal signs for placing next to track ... on for "ringing start" and "ringing end". Yust for fun :D

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Also, Speaker object should be able to play typical "rail crossing" gong. "Celesta" sounds wired in this role...

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train horn when approaching player + new features

Post by mp0011 »

P.S.
Other important feature - When in manual mode, at the top of the screen nearest Rail Signals should be listed.

If there is chain signal ahead, all chained Rail Signals, listed from left to right, according trains perspective (and keyboard "A" and "D" meaning) displayed. If You pass red signal, some kind of buzzer should sound (again, no auto-braking, just a warning)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I am against the idea of the train sounding its horn whenever it gets near the player. I am sure that constantly hearing train horns will drive me crazy very quickly, if I have many trains going through my base.

It is already now possible to make safe rail crossings using the circuit network. However, if would be nice to be able to set speed limits for trains, so that I have no trains speeding through the middle of my base at 260 km/h. This has been suggested in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32459 Railway Speed Limits

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

It only sounds when player is really near or at the tracks. You could possibly simply reduce detection radius in game options/console.

With 1 tile radius, train will only react to players directly on it's way (on the tracks, not just next to) giving You precious few seconds to jump to safety and avoid certain death. It's worth hearing sometimes a horn. That's also price of living on the tracks...

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I think this would be very positive feature.

However I would like to see it only if a player is standing directly on a track cause otherwise this can really become a world of honks.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”