Circuit network connections for splitters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Circuit network connections for splitters

Postby Bilka » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:38 pm

The new splitter options that can be seen in https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-225 currently cannot be controlled by the circuit network. I hereby request the ability to do that, because github apparently isnt this forum :P .

Setting the filter could work how the filters are set on filter inserters (only used when the output priority is activated), and the priority could work by giving a signal to enabled/disable the priority currently set in the gui. So for example I could set [x > 0] to enable the left output priority here:
Image .
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.
Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Circuit network connections for splitters

Postby Caine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 pm

I strongly agree. It also would fit the mindset from the FFF of increasing control in the late game:
This is why we decided to add a few options to splitter configuration. These might be perceived overpowered by some, but we believe, that these mainly solve problems in the later part of the game when belts compete with bots, and when the player needs more control over the belt logistics.
Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby studix2002 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 pm

How cool would it be being able to send the resources you need at the time you need it, I’m surprised the devs didn’t think of this feature as well and implement it at the same time as the configuration options, I hope they do
studix2002
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby Caine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm

studix2002 wrote:How cool would it be being able to send the resources you need at the time you need it, I’m surprised the devs didn’t think of this feature as well and implement it at the same time as the configuration options, I hope they do

That was what I was doing with the old splitters and a lot of circuit network conditions. It is doable but becomes rather complicated with the more complex recipes.

Essentially whenever I produced an item, I sent a signal back through the network to order ingredients for a new one. A balanced splitter network (equal number of splitter traversals) ensured that ingredients were deliverd round-robin to the factories. To compensate for ingredient travel time you setup a buffer which is just big enough to prevent it from draining during the delivery of the ingredients. Direct insertion at a distance :)

It more or less broke down with recipes involving multiple ingredients of the same type. I still had to find a nice fix for that.
Last edited by Caine on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby Tekky » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm

When I was reading the FFF, I had the same thought. I also consider it important to be able to control it by circuit network.

Here are some older threads about connecting the splitter to the circuit network:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23616 Smart Splitter (The Real One)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51051 Circuit controlled splitter
Tekky
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby provet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:10 pm

This sounds useful and probably needed to compete with the bots
provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby dauphin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 pm

I, too, would very much like to see this happen. Some really, really cool designs could come out of this. For one, it would be an interesting alternative for making sushi belts.
dauphin
Inserter
Inserter

Postby mp0011 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:22 am

I wish, however, new splitter functions will REQUIRE logic network, or it would be to easy.
Without connections, splitters should work as regular splitters.
mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby provet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

If only the same would be true for all robot chest-only logistic #ItsNotaNerfIfItsCombinators
provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby StonedXander » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 am

Good idea.

One could set a condition on priority activation AND priority side.
For example, if the condition is true, then set input priority to left, else, to right.
Same for output priority.
StonedXander
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby Impatient » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm

+1

3 signals: input prio, output prio and filter
Impatient
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby MeduSalem » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Could be interesting to have in some cases to reroute item flow more dynamically.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Return to Ideas and Suggestions