Transportation Suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MC_Cobalt_Ninja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Transportation Suggestions

Post by MC_Cobalt_Ninja »

Hi! I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me.
*Disclaimer: I know that there are mods out there that let you do this, but it would be great if this is stock*

Although Factorio uses some great transportation methods for cargo (yourself included), some things could be done to improve this system:
-Tanker Train Cars: To transport liquids across your railway.
-Liquid Inserter: Similair to an inserter to a normal train car, except puts liquids into the tanker car (I know a small pump could do the same job, but this would move liquid at twice the speed).
-Vehicle Transportation Train Cars: So you can park cars on your train and transport them somewhere only accessable by train.
-Removeable Freight Train Cars: Used with a "Semi Truck" to keep things organized within a train car inventory, speeding up transportation of resources without using inserters.
-Freight Containers: This is what goes on the removable freight train car. It has half the inventory of a normal train car, but two can be put on the car.
-Large Inserter: This is what can move freight containers around. Possibly having a double use as picking up many items off a conveyer belt.
-Semi Truck: Basically a car with a trailer extension that can hold two freight containers.

I find it kind of strange that diesel locomotives can run on any fuel in the game. So, what if they would be modified to only accept diesel (Base speed same as SF)(Made in a chemical plant)?
Therefore, what if we had special train types?

-High-Speed Train (Two variants)
-Electric: All tracks have to have electric current on them (Base Speed 400 Km/h)
-Standard: Accepts diesel and solid fuel (Base Speed 370 Km/h with solid fuel, 340 with diesel)

How to get them:
Tanker Train Car:
20 barrels, 10 gears, 10 steel
Requires (New Researches): Advanced Liquid Transportation, Advanced Material Transportation

Liquid Inserter:
5 barrels, 20 gears, 1 small pump
Requires (New Researches): Advanced Liquid Transportation, Heavy Machinery

Diesel:
Chemical Plant
Requires (New Researches): Versatile Fuels

VTTC:
10 steel, 10 gears
Requires (New Researches): Advanced Material Transportation

RFTC:
5 steel, 5 gears

Freight Containers:
5 steel, 10 gears, 10 iron plates

Large Inserter:
10 iron plates, 20 gears, 5 stack inserters
Requires (New Researches): Advanced Material Transporation, Heavy Machinery

Semi Truck:
25 engines, 20 steel,10 gears
Requires (New Researches): Advanced Material Transportation, Heavy Machinery

High-Speed Train (Standard)
10 engines, 10 steel, 25 plastic, 20 gears
Requires (New Researches): Vehicle Logistics, Heavy Machinery

High-Speed Train (Electric)
20 electric engines, 10 steel, 25 plastic, 5 gears, 35 copper wire
Requires (New Researches): Vehicle Logistics, Heavy Machinery

Research Requirements:
Heavy Machinery: 100 Red, 100 Green, 25 Blue
Vehicle Logistics: 75 Red, 125 Green, 50 Blue
Advanced Material Transportation: 100 Red, 100 Green, 25 Blue
Advanced Liquid Transportation: 50 Red, 150 Green, 75 Blue
Versatile Fuels: 100 Red, 100 Green, 25 Blue

TL;DR

Basically, the transportation of items would be streamlined in later areas of the game with improved rail systems.

(TL;DR) What:

Improved and new train engines and cars (See long passage). For example, high-speed electric/diesel trains, removeable freight cars (Containers, Car, and Semi), tanker car (w/ liquid inserter), and diesel to fuel the standard train engine.
(TL;DR) Why:

If (and when) you start to run out of resources in your general factory area, you turn to rail item transport, which can be slow at best with too many cars. In addition, bottling plants are required for oil transportation. Or, you can make vulnerable pipes to transport it. New rail system parts would just streamline this and similair processes.

Well, hopefully I didn't waste too much of your time, after all these were just random thoughts in my head.

vincenteam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Transportation Suggestions

Post by vincenteam »

i like the ideas of electric railway and electric train.
I see something more like this,

electric train goes faster than steam train but speed up slower.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

Your first two suggestions (fluid wagon and liquid inserter) are already in the game. Just start playing the v0.15 beta branch. The in-game version of your proposed liquid inserter is really just a special behaviour of the pump if you put it next to a track where a train car will stop.

The rest could be nice to have, though. I particularly like the idea of an electric railway though I fear adding the wires once you've completed the relevant research might be a bit of a pain in the neck if you've got a sizeable system built by that point.

MC_Cobalt_Ninja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Good point. What about if you could run a diesel train across the tracks, laying down copper wires that, if connected to a power grid, would energize the track?

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Rail Power System adds a hybrid train that runs on electricity; and you can run normal trains on the track. (requires a special power pole to connect the power grid to the track, was confused by that for a while)

Electric Trains mod don't use wires; they use transmitters instead. (definitly a hack)

There's also a nuclear train mod that uses uranium fuel.

FWIW; diesel are technically electric anyway; they use diesel engines to turn generator that in turn power the wheels, it's not a direct engine->wheels sort of drive.

----------
re the OP
(and yes I see you know there's mods, here are specific examples though)

Tankers are implemented now; and would have been when you first posted
(liquid inserter) you use pumps to load/unload tankers
you can use G and V keys to connect and disconnect train cars from a train.
large inserter - aka stack inserter.
(although I see your point about just putting the chest on the train that's already loaded like freight containers)

There is 'solid fuel' which is produced from petroleum products, this would be close to diesel only. Rocket fuel makes trains go very fast. (solid fuel and rocket fuel have acceleration/top speed bonuses)

Working on a mod that applies speed bonuses/penalties to tracks; I'm especially working with Nuclear Train, Bio Industries (more track types), RailPowerSystem (Hybrid/electric train), and JunkTrains (scrap rails, and really cheap engines that are really slow but good for early game train systems). I'm having a lot of issues due to lack of information available to mods.

There's another mod that is Vehicle Wagon that allows loading cars/tanks onto flatbed tracks (uses a winch to load/unload)

Semi-truck would be tougher to implement; although I guess a new rail class of track that is 'road'. there is internally 'rail_category' which would seem to allow defining 'roads' and trucks that drive on 'roads'; if I were or know a graphics guy I'd even entertain making such a mod. I looked but didn't see anything, there are road mods, but none that add semi trucks; oop I lied well it's a truck anyway. (steals graphics, makes tracks called road for it... >:) )

There's an alternate train that looks nice; but it's hard to find to craft; think some of the categories aren't set right.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Oh maybe the OP is still on 0.14 and hasn't gone to betas and selected the last expirimental. 0.15.x

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Sigh.
error.png
error.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
data:extend({
{
type = "rail-category",
name = "road"
},

MC_Cobalt_Ninja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Okay, I understand now that tanker cars have been released. However, for some inexplicable reason, my game is staying at the stable 0.14 version, and I can't figure out how to get 0.15 running.

ReOP: I Just re-read through the comments (Bad on my part), but yes, I had no idea that tanker cars were in the game.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

MC_Cobalt_Ninja wrote:Okay, I understand now that tanker cars have been released. However, for some inexplicable reason, my game is staying at the stable 0.14 version, and I can't figure out how to get 0.15 running.

ReOP: I Just re-read through the comments (Bad on my part), but yes, I had no idea that tanker cars were in the game.
You need to enable experimental updates.

They are also close to calling .15 stable, so you can also have patience :)

MC_Cobalt_Ninja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Thank you! I'll try that right away!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

MC_Cobalt_Ninja wrote:Hi! I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me.
Well if you are new and want to post in this forum section I suggest reading the announcement threads at the top of the board that explains the rules.
MC_Cobalt_Ninja wrote:*Disclaimer: I know that there are mods out there that let you do this, but it would be great if this is stock*
If there's mods for it, install those. Why are you here if your feature suggestions are already implemented in mods?
MC_Cobalt_Ninja wrote: -Tanker Train Cars: To transport liquids across your railway.
-Liquid Inserter: Similair to an inserter to a normal train car, except puts liquids into the tanker car (I know a small pump could do the same job, but this would move liquid at twice the speed).
And then you start by suggestion features already in vanilla... facepalm. :roll:
Why are you on the board for future development of the game if you don't play the experimental branch?
MC_Cobalt_Ninja wrote:[...]
I'm not even going to bother going through the rest of your post. Just more rules and guidlines broken. Also probably everything you asked for has been suggested multiple times already. Did I mention that you should only post 1 suggestion per thread, avoid colours, avoid unecessary balancing details, etc... no? Well your thread is like an example of everything you shouldn't do.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

You don't need to add this into the main game.

High-Speed Train : bob mods / electric train mod

Tanker Train Car: no mods that i know

Liquid Inserter: it's called pipe, or use barreling with bob mods?

Diesel: KS Power also comes with generators

VTTC: it's called belts!

RFTC: use media player to listen to music

Freight Containers: trains?

High-Speed Train: bob mods

High-Speed Train (Electric): electric trains mod

Research Requirements: lol just no, nope

TLDR: already in mods, worst suggestion ever, you know that mods are just for that right? Did you even play this game?

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Of course I already said these things; but since you didn't read past the first message apparently you wouldn't know.
cpy wrote: Liquid Inserter: it's called pipe, or use barreling with bob mods?
Actually it's a pump.
cpy wrote: VTTC: it's called belts!
Vehicle Wagin
cpy wrote: Freight Containers: trains?
Actually this could be an interesting mod; kinda like just taking the arlready filled buffer-chest and moving it to the train (although putting a new one in it's place would be more tricky) But then these 'portable chests' could be used with other vehicles
cpy wrote:

RailPowerSystem is better; and/or nuclear trains.
but OOC; what bob mod has trains? Searching 'bob's train' reveals nothing or 'bob's loco'

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

OK guys, calm down.

OP played this game for a while, really liked it, and thought he had some original ideas to help improve it and decided to share them and contribute to the community. That's really cool!

Unfortunately, these ideas aren't very original and not very well formulated. That is a good reason for either ignoring his post, or if out want to help him out, politely pointing him to where he can find his suggestions implemented. It is not a good reason to start flaming him.

So, now and in the future, if you think a suggestion is really really dumb, just ignore it and go play the game! Please do not flame self-proclaimed noobs and turn them away from this community: today's noobs might just be tomorrow's mod writers. This community depends on a lot of volunteer work put in by people writing and maintaining mods, wiki pages, answering questions, posting designs, etc.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

vanatteveldt wrote:Unfortunately, these ideas aren't very original and not very well formulated. That is a good reason for either ignoring his post, or if out want to help him out, politely pointing him to where he can find his suggestions implemented.
But all his suggestions are basically already implemented and he knows it for the most part... how can we help him?
vanatteveldt wrote: It is not a good reason to start flaming him.

So, now and in the future, if you think a suggestion is really really dumb, just ignore it and go play the game! Please do not flame self-proclaimed noobs and turn them away from this community: today's noobs might just be tomorrow's mod writers. This community depends on a lot of volunteer work put in by people writing and maintaining mods, wiki pages, answering questions, posting designs, etc.
I'm trying to find all the flame in this thread.
cpy wrote:worst suggestion ever, you know that mods are just for that right? Did you even play this game?
Qon wrote:And then you start by suggestion features already in vanilla... facepalm. :roll:
It's that? Seems like a low bar for "flame" to me. If a suggestion is dumb then we don't have to ignore it. It's ok to not like something and say so. We can't have a discussion if everyone must agree with OP at all times. And there's not a single post in this thread that isn't either positive or helpful in some way. Even "Did you even play this game?" is more of a non-sequitur than mean.

The top of the board lists these handy threads with names that heavily suggest you read them before posting.
  • Frequently Suggested / Link Collections
    This are only lists of links to other suggestions!
    Search, if your idea has been already suggested.
  • Suggestion Templates
  • I want to make suggestions, but I got links to mods!! :(
  • How is This Board Working? Revision #3
  • Read this OR be ignored!
OP is very welcome to join our community. Please just read the rules and guidelines first :) ;)

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

d3x0r wrote:Of course I already said these things; but since you didn't read past the first message apparently you wouldn't know.
cpy wrote: Liquid Inserter: it's called pipe, or use barreling with bob mods?
Actually it's a pump.
cpy wrote: VTTC: it's called belts!
Vehicle Wagin
cpy wrote: Freight Containers: trains?
Actually this could be an interesting mod; kinda like just taking the arlready filled buffer-chest and moving it to the train (although putting a new one in it's place would be more tricky) But then these 'portable chests' could be used with other vehicles
cpy wrote:

RailPowerSystem is better; and/or nuclear trains.
but OOC; what bob mod has trains? Searching 'bob's train' reveals nothing or 'bob's loco'
bob logistics i think

I was born to flame and post mods :D

Besides LURK before you post! If you don't get to feel like an idiot, you will always be an idiot. It encourages more critical thinking and less rush posting.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Whatever next post I read in this topic that feels to me too much like a personal attack, or has too much an unrespectful flavor will be moderated.
And it won't be when the poster finds it's too much, but when I find it's too much, so don't even try to test the limits :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”