More Flexible Hotkeys

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

More Flexible Hotkeys

Post by nljr »

TL;DR
I should be able to assign the F-keys in configuration and have them NOT trigger some overlays.
I should be able to assign hotkeys for the extra hotbar slots added with Toolbelt.

What ?
The functions that are on F-Keys now should available to reassign from the configuration settings.
The extra slots added with the toolbelt should also be available to assign from the configuration settings.
Why ?
Hitting X to access the extra row of hot bar slots slows me down. (Might work for someone else, but that's what configuration is for, right?) Here are the hotkeys I really want to be able to assign:
  • F1 - Hot bar slot 1.
  • F2 - Hot bar slot 2.
  • F3 - Hot bar slot 3.
  • F4 - Hot bar slot 4.
  • F5 - Hot bar slot 5.
  • F6 - Hot bar slot 6.
  • F7 - Hot bar slot 7.
  • F8 - Hot bar slot 8.
  • 1 - Toolbelt slot 1.
  • 2 - Toolbelt slot 2.
  • 3 - Toolbelt slot 3.
  • 4 - Toolbelt slot 4.
  • 5 - Toolbelt slot 5.
  • 6 - Toolbelt slot 6.
  • 7 - Toolbelt slot 7.
  • 8 - Toolbelt slot 8.
Last edited by nljr on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: More Flexible Hotkeys

Post by Rseding91 »

Allowing the F-N hotkeys to be remapped is something I've meant to do.

What are you referring to with "Bandolier"?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

Rseding91 wrote:What are you referring to with "Bandolier"?
I keep forgetting the name. The tech is "Toolbelt". I updated above to look slightly less like an idiot.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, then this is not implemented yet.

Rseding, when implementing take care, that on Mac it's possible to have either to press Function-Key to access the functions key (otherwise it's what's on the symbols, like loudness, brightness etc.), or vice versa.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

ssilk wrote:Ok, then this is not implemented yet.

Rseding, when implementing take care, that on Mac it's possible to have either to press Function-Key to access the functions key (otherwise it's what's on the symbols, like loudness, brightness etc.), or vice versa.
I believe he's referring to the "F-N" keys as in F1, F2, F3, and so on and not the laptop FN key? I'm not aware of any issues using the laptop FN keys. If there are they should go in bug reports.

As for this topic: I made the F3, F4, F5 and so on hotkeys reassignable for the next version of 0.15.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Rseding91 wrote: I believe he's referring to the "F-N" keys as in F1, F2, F3, and so on and not the laptop FN key? I'm not aware of any issues using the laptop FN keys. If there are they should go in bug reports.

As for this topic: I made the F3, F4, F5 and so on hotkeys reassignable for the next version of 0.15.
Sounds nice.
What I meant is this:
You see, that it has no extra keys for things like loudness etc. That is for all Macs the same. You need to press FN (here between DELETE and HOME) together with this the function key to execute the ... ehm ... function-key. Sounds difficult, but is simple. :) This behavior can be switched in the preferences.

This combination is of course full bullshit if you need to be faster. Much faster. To make that even more complex: There are programs like my IDE, which turn all that mapping off and make their own.

So to make "the best game ever", I recommend to do it like so.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

Right. I think, by default, it's probably better to leave the overlay stuff on the function keys, since they're hard to press on some systems. I'm specifically asking for the option to reconfigure.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

nljr wrote:Right. I think, by default, it's probably better to leave the overlay stuff on the function keys, since they're hard to press on some systems. I'm specifically asking for the option to reconfigure.
That's what I did for the next version of 0.15 :)

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

The Fn Key is handled entirely by hardware, there is currently no standard interface in any hardware implementation that allows for the detection of the fn key programmatically.

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

The possibility to reconfig F-Keys for overlays and so on is nice. But as far as I see there is a second point in the original post: adding shortcuts for the toolbelt (second row).

So the player can set what he wants, e.g use 1 to 0 for the upper row and <shift> + 1 to 0 for second row. Or may using F1 to F10 for upper row and 1 to 0 for lower row ... or whatever. But have to switch between the two rows with X-key is a pain (for me).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”