[1.1.11] Drag-placing still places underground segments when rotating out of range and 2 other issues

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.11] Drag-placing still places underground segments when rotating out of range and 2 other issues

Post by Shingen »

to sorta continue 94359
OOJ3eSkDme.mp4
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
OOJ3eSkDme.mp4_snapshot_00.06.647.jpg
OOJ3eSkDme.mp4_snapshot_00.06.647.jpg (167.14 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
during drag-pacing, when you rotate the belt after you move too far to place the first belt in the new direction, you get an underground belt segment - and a reversed one for that matter!

I also found 2 other weird cases:
k93LIgr9qy.mp4
(3.29 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
k93LIgr9qy.mp4_snapshot_00.19.504.jpg
k93LIgr9qy.mp4_snapshot_00.19.504.jpg (221.17 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
when you rotate the belt during drag-placing after placing just one belt, the original one does not always rotate.
  • if you place 2 or more belts in the "forward" direction, then drag-placing the later single belt will rotate it
  • if you then place a single belt, drag-placing another single belt will not rotate it
  • if you place 2 or more belts in the "backwards" direction, then drag-placing the later single belt will make it the "end" belt of a backward moving set of belts (and that's ok)
  • but if you then place a single belt, and drag place another single belt, it will be rotated too
my guess is that:
when single belts are placed after a "forward" placing, then the remembered state is that you're moving "forward", so the last belt gets rotated when drag-placing+rotating, even if it's the only one, and that's fine.
when only one belt is placed without drag-placing, then the direction is "unknown" so with later drag-placing+rotating it doesn't know how to rotate.
when you place belts "backwards" and then place a drag-place a single one, it acts accordingly,
but for some reason placing a single belt after moving "backwards" does not reset the direction to "unknown".
44Wx0zvBrP.mp4
(715.93 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
44Wx0zvBrP.mp4_snapshot_00.07.562.jpg
44Wx0zvBrP.mp4_snapshot_00.07.562.jpg (135.28 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
when you try to wrap around and drag-build a belt over itself it will create underground belts even if it won't be fully connected (only side-connected) to the earlier belt.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.11] Drag-placing still places underground segments when rotating out of range and 2 other issues

Post by kovarex »

Well, the drag building is not supposed to be some AI-like feature that figures out what the player had in mind in some complicated situations.
So, changing direction next to an obstacle just makes the underground belt that is not fully connected and it is up to the user how to fix it.
The first issue well. I also don't see a goo way to solve it that wouldn't make problems in other cases. If you don't like the way it behave, just turn belt smart building off.

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.1.11] Drag-placing still places underground segments when rotating out of range and 2 other issues

Post by Shingen »

overall i fully understand and agree that it is not supposed to be mind-reading, so i'm perfectly fine with leaving issue #3 the way it is atm.

however, the issue #1 looks really dumb with the reversed underground belt - which, from what i can see, was fixed in 1.1.12, so that's gucci.
i would personally be in favor of simply building all the remaining belts, even though they're currently out of reach, because of the knowledge that since i started drag-building it normally (i.e. not with ghosts) it means that i was in reach before, so maybe we could just assume that i simply took a bit too long to press R? i can feel that pressing it these 1-2 tiles too late will be kinda annoying, and the game could be forgiving in that regard.
or at least fill this space with ghosts/direction change orders if you want to keep the "you can't build out of reach no matter what" stance.

issue #2 seems like a minor inconsistency somewhere in the code and i just thought it deserved a glance. and it seems it has received a glance, since i can't reproduce it in 1.1.12 either.

overall, it seems that your "won't fix" was "we'll fix the weirder parts quietly" :P
thanks.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Shingen wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 am
overall, it seems that your "won't fix" was "we'll fix the weirder parts quietly" :P
Basically that, also things reported by others.

Return to “Won't fix.”