[1.1.1] Weapon targetability against spidertron inconsistencies

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.1] Weapon targetability against spidertron inconsistencies

Post by Hanakocz »

Hello,

As of now, spidertron cannot be hit by:
- tank shells (even though shell actually collides with legs)
- artillery shells
- grenades
- shotgun (even though shell actually collides with legs)
- slowdown capsules
- discharge defense

I think that explosives like artillery, grenades, and explosive tank shells should certainly damage spidertrons (at least the enemy ones!). The resistances are already good enough to let spidertron survive damage from such sources, and such would make technical sense.

Slowdown capsules also are good candidates for being able to apply to spidertrons, as they rely on speed of movement. Discharge defense also feels like it should be able to target the spidertron(it can hit tanks, but not cars, for some reason. Also it CAN be used around enemy spidertron, but apparently only indestructible legs are target, so no discharge damage is dealt, while charge is still used).

Contrary, spidertron CAN be hit by:

- melee
- flames
- rockets, smg, lasers, robots, etc (those are fine)

Spidertron should not be hittable by melee as it floats. Flames are probably fine, they are on ground but flame heat goes up so it is theoretically believable that spider can take some damage from it (sticker is not applied, that is fine)

Personally I think that proper setup would be if either all explosives and flames did hit spidertron, or none (that would mean exclude flames from hitting it, as it floats, but then only tiny few weapons can actually damage it). Melee should be excluded, while discharge defense and slowdown capsules probably included.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.1] Weapon targetability against spidertron inconsistencies

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however as far as I know we have no interest in messing with the spider collision logic to try to make it take damage from those sources.

The "issue" is that the spider vehicle has no collision while it's standing and so anything that uses collision based logic will never collide with it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't fix.”