[1.1.1] New Tips window gets cut off or stretched at the bottom if game window is too small

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
geekoid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.1] New Tips window gets cut off or stretched at the bottom if game window is too small

Post by geekoid »

Version: MacOS 10.14.6

I noticed when I shrunk down the window of the game and then clicked on the New Tips that the window which appears either gets cut off at the bottom or it gets obscured by an area covering the button to mark the tip as read. This prevents a player from seeing more tips. There is no way to scale the Tips & Tricks window.

If I then resize the game window to be larger, the bottom part of the tips window suddenly reappears and I can click the Mark Read button again.

After fiddling with it a bit to get screenshots, it seems the problem is related to the game window width. If the width is sufficient, the problem doesn't occur and the UI scales when the game window is vertically resized. If the window is narrower than the default width of the Tips and Tricks window, it causes the problems shown in the attachments.

I've attached 3 screenshots to show the problem.
Attachments
Game window just larger than Tips & Tricks dialogue width
Game window just larger than Tips & Tricks dialogue width
Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 16.04.50.png (497.93 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Game window just smaller than Tips & Tricks dialogue width
Game window just smaller than Tips & Tricks dialogue width
Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 16.04.43.png (374.9 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Small game window
Small game window
Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 16.02.25.png (305.85 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.1] New Tips window gets cut off or stretched at the bottom if game window is too small

Post by MakeItGraphic »

I tried this and the smallest I could achieve for all menus to work was 1028 x 744 which is reasonable.

This is caused due to the width parameter of bottom piece of UI there with the text and that, game window has to be set to 1028 or it won't set the height properly and it causes you to drag the menu, and have the bottom part glitched out.

Then the issue where the simulations won't load in the container correctly comes up. Which is a height issue, so the minimum height is 774. So 1028x744 seems to be the smallest this game gets with the current GUI at default UI scaling.
minres.png
minres.png (195.86 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
Last edited by MakeItGraphic on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.1] New Tips window gets cut off or stretched at the bottom if game window is too small

Post by MasterBuilder »

Oxyd wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 pm
The GUI is designed for 1920×1080 px screens or larger. If your screen is smaller, you're supposed to use a lower UI scale.
I don't know what you have your UI scale at, but this probably isn't a bug.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
We are not interested in supporting arbitrarily small game window sizes.

Return to “Won't fix.”