Too long translations in controls settings

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Too long translations in controls settings

Post by ixu »

In control setting there is an issue when texts are too long to fit on the button.
TooLongTexts.PNG
TooLongTexts.PNG (226.14 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
There is also no tooltip.

P.S. One could think that the text is kind of verbose. I agree, but this is another issue.
Mods: ingteb, ixuClock, ixuAutoSave, NoCheating, hardCrafting (Maintainer) and more
Desperately tried to implement redo :)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Too long translations in controls settings

Post by valneq »

To reproduce: Set the language to "German" and check control settings in the sections "Editor" and "Debug". The amount of text displayed depends on UI scale. For a reason unclear to me, on 125% more text is visible.

I see two possible solutions:
  • Declare this a locale issue and encourage translations for keyboard keys to be short.
  • Have the game display the actual key bindings (only if they are to long?) in the tooltip that currently only says "Right mouse button to clear"
Disclaimer:
I am the proofreader for German, so I could adapt the translations for keyboard keys for this specific locale to be generally shorter. I am not sure that it will work out in every case of key combinations, though.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

valneq wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 pm
  • Have the game display the actual key bindings (only if they are to long?) in the tooltip that currently only says "Right mouse button to clear"
I hope the decision would not be this. It is kind of pedestrian if you have to hover over the button to see the actual value.
But with tooltips there would be a third option:
Like with some other text items, provide a section [control-key-description] and if present render the text from there as tooltip. So we can have short versions in section [control-keys] and if required the "Steuerungstaste + Nummernblock + +" - version as tooltip in section [control-key-description].
Mods: ingteb, ixuClock, ixuAutoSave, NoCheating, hardCrafting (Maintainer) and more

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

ixu wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:53 pm
valneq wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 pm
I hope the decision would not be this. It is kind of pedestrian if you have to hover over the button to see the actual value.
But with tooltips there would be a third option:
Like with some other text items, provide a section [control-key-description] and if present render the text from there as tooltip. So we can have short versions in section [control-keys] and if required the "Steuerungstaste + Nummernblock + +" - version as tooltip in section [control-key-description].
Just to make sure I understand your suggestion:
You want to have two translations of every key in the game, short and long. Then, the game will show the short versions in the control settings (long versions in the toolip). And use the long versions for the player instructions in game like "Hold right mouse button to mine iron".

Keep in mind: the keys are translated separately. The text shown in the control settings is dynamically generated from the player input. Thus translating the combined string is not actually a thing we can do.

If this is what you meant: it sounds like quite the effort to address an issue that maybe two locales have.

Vainock
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vainock »

Not a good place for discussing things about translations, so this topic should be moved to viewforum.php?f=12.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

Vainock wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am
Not a good place for discussing things about translations
I agree.
But this topic isn't about translations.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Steuerungstaste=CTRL right?
Translating Control into some weird word is a mistake in my view. At least, in czech it would be pretty weird, and we just use Control.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

kovarex wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:38 pm
Translating Control into some weird word is a mistake in my view. At least, in czech it would be pretty weird, and we just use Control.
"Strg" is the text that is written on the actual key:

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:02 pm
So, why not just use "Strg" instead of "Steuerungstaste"?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

Rseding91 wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:15 pm
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:02 pm
So, why not just use "Strg" instead of "Steuerungstaste"?
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85953

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

This was now moved to "Won't Fix".

Does that mean it will/should not be addressed at all? Not even by the locale in question?

As I said earlier, the German locale could try to be shorter in general. Maybe Altagram can address this when proofreading, but they have to be made aware that this is a possible issue.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

As this was brought up again here I'd like to "put my mustard to it" as we Germans say. :lol:

My suggestions to at least try to mitigate this problem would be as follows:
  • Use "Ziffernblock" instead of "Nummernblock". It's at least a bit shorter.
  • Omit "taste" in "Steuerungstaste". It's fairly obvious what it means and it feels quite natural to me. (Not for "Linke" und "Rechte Steuerungstaste" however.)
  • Use "Shift-Taste" instead of "Umschalttaste". Again just a tiny bit shorter. I would justify this by pointing out that "Enter" is also not translated with "Eingabetaste" https://crowdin.com/translate/factorio/ ... e=15#38968
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

Return to β€œWon't fix.”