[0.17.79] Crashes on loading big map

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.79] Crashes on loading big map

Post by azesmbog »

several logs.
One with normal loading of a small map (only 661 Mb), and the second with loading of my current map 2,214 Mb)
Here on the second and crashes, I tried two attempts to download.
The computer is completely new, I decided to check. 9400F / 16 Gb RAM and 1660GTX / 6 Gb videoRAM. Drivers are the latest.
I understand very well that most likely 16 GB of RAM is not enough, this map works for me on another computer with a RAM capacity of 40 GB, but in the logs it’s kind of like a video error, right?)
upd^
Everything is much more wonderful and wonderful.
Added +8 GB of RAM
crash_24.jpg
crash_24.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
upd2:
But that's not all)
rearranged operational memory from one computer to another., where it was 40 and so it worked. It turned out 4 slats 8 + 8 + 16 + 16 = 48 GB
I loaded the same map. In the task manager, it shows 38.6 GB of RAM loading, this is because the guns are silent and there are no freely roaming bitters :)), they would definitely eat more than 40 GB of memory. But it is possible that there is good optimization in the latest versions. By the way, the FPS has also grown slightly, from 48.8 (recently) to 52-53 ups/fps.
But I would not be me if I had not tried the same amount of memory as on a non-working configuration :))
I left 8 + 16 = 24 GB and loaded the same map, but in Windows 7. It loaded much longer, but it worked without problems, the FPS was very low at first, then it rose a bit to 41-43.
So draw conclusions about Win7 vs Win10.
And yes, in the minimum requirements for the game you need to write from 4 GB, and in the recommended ones - 64 GB :-))))
ps: If you are interested in saving, then I’ll upload without problems. I finally have an Internet optical 100 Mbps
Attachments
factorio-current_48_win7.log
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
factorio-current_24_win7.log
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
factorio-current_16_10_crash.log
(117.01 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
factorio-current_16_win10.log
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.79] Crashes on loading big map

Post by posila »

If graphics driver needs to allocate more RAM for whatever purposes and fails to do so, it errors with E_OUTOFMEMORY. Can't really do anything about running out of RAM.

If you share the 2 GB save file somehow, we might take a look if there is some opportunity of optimize memory usage for it, but it would be just marginal at best. Less than 10% improvement, so you'll start running out of RAM soon again.

As to why Windows 7 doesn't crash but Windows 10 does. Because on Windows 7, your page file (swap file) size is double of RAM size (so 48 GB when you have 24 GB RAM), while on Windows 10 machine you have 16 GB ram and only 22 GB page file. You may need to manually increase page file size on your Windows 10 computer.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

But on Win10 I also tried with 24 GB of RAM. Similarly, fell. There, in theory, the swap file should have grown. So not everything is so simple. Apparently, there are still problems. Well, okay, if this is not interesting for the developers, I can only state a fact :))
  With the "ten" - it was an experimental computer, did the assembly "not for myself")
   My native computer is with Windows 7, still with 40 GB of memory, but I plan to increase it to 56 GB in the near future, then I’ll still experiment.
attached file save (2,06 Gb).
Try it on Win10 with 24 GB yourself :-)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XQ84O ... DmQFK_EZiu

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Neat, you traveled to the edge of the world. Did you run any mods or console commands?

On my Win 10 PC, the map loads with 32GB installed RAM, Factorio uses 40GB in total.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:28 pm
Neat, you traveled to the edge of the world. Did you run any mods or console commands?
Not. Pure vanilla. Not a single mod, and not a single console command.
Killed many tens of millions of bitters and many thousands of hours of killed time))
But I reached the edge of the world honestly, and it was not easy))
But walking along the edge is completely uninteresting, many times fewer nests and clusters of bitters.
There is a road up there, you can see)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Damn, that is truly impressive. I hope you also had fun during all those hours :) For those who cannot download the map due to its size, this is what the loading screen says for time played:

I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:40 pm
Damn, that is truly impressive. I hope you also had fun during all those hours :)
Even as I had fun :))))))))
But I hope the developers will not let them get bored.
In the picture, by the way, the last fun, a giant power plant, in theory the power should be within 11 GW, but I still have nothing to test and load it with, I need to turn off all the other previous power plants, but go to them by train for real 4 hours or more, to put circuit breakers.
And by the way, yes, Happy New Year!
Happiness! To everyone! For free! And let no one go offended !!!
Thanks for Рlaying!

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

I know this is a bug report post, but I have to say that I find this to be impressive.
That play time! :ugeek:
Not only the edge of the world, but the edge of sanity too :D

Happy New Year!

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Squelch wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:50 pm
but the edge of sanity too :D
This is a very accurate definition))
Thank you :)
Well and still, about the edge. I understand that at the end of the world some physical laws do not apply (and game laws, too :)
clear.jpg
clear.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
I have already noticed once that during the construction of the rail, bots sometimes can not independently remove various interfering objects from the path. in particular, dry trees. Prior to this, the rocks were not removed. I have to clean with my hands. It’s not difficult for me, before everything had to be cleaned, in 0.16 version. Habitual.
By the way, ordinary trees are definitely cleaned, but for dry ones - this is not the first time I've noticed.
Not a bug!
This is the end of the world! if you look beyond the edge, you can see some kind of tortoise ears and several elephant trunks. What's this?? :shock:

Return to “Won't fix.”