[0.17.76] Compilatron rudely deletes my Iron Ore Setup early on

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.76] Compilatron rudely deletes my Iron Ore Setup early on

Post by GregoriusT »

So I know Compilatron wants to demonstrate an Ore Mining Setup very early on in the campaign, but when he frees the Area of any Buildings he just deletes them and the Resources they contain, so I lost a few hundred Coal Ores and Iron Ores/Plates that were in the Smelters and Miners that he deleted.

In this particular instance Compilatron also places down a Chest that gets filled with Iron Plates by the Furnii, one would think that Chest could maybe be used to store the deleted Buildings and their contents, or maybe Compilatron could give the Resources back to the Player Inventory.

*starts going a little bit tangential*

This problem could be solved by saying "dont mine iron because nobody told you to", if it wasn't for the fact that you still need to harvest 3 iron ores to smelt into Plates to make your first Miner, since there is no "Iron Plates" on the entire Map, priming you mentally to try automate mining Iron Ore right away.

It is also making you think that the Furnace you placed for Compilatron originally, was way too far away from the Mining Area so you move that right to the Output of the Miner trying to see what happens if its adjacent (since putting things adjacent is an instinct I think many others also have). You dont know that the Furnace is right next to the future Gear Assembler and at least somewhat makes sense (though later additions by Compilatron disprove that).

*goes on even more of a tangent*

Speaking of, the Compilatron Chest used to repair the Assemblers, why couldn't the Assemblers themselves actually accept the Items needed for repair? I'm sure you talked about this along other things, but it would feel much more natural if you used Inserters to fill the Assembler itself rather than a Chest that Compilatron has plopped down (again potentially deleting stuff!), and it would make that first Furnace you plopped down much more inspiring to place an inserter between it and the Assembler.

*and back to topic*

The Tutorial is good, but it could be better if Compilatron would give you back your shit if he removes it.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.76] Compilatron rudely deletes my Iron Ore Setup early on

Post by Trebor »

Could the tiles be marked so the player can’t build on them?

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

If the Tiles are not buildable right away the Player might end up accidentally under the assumption that one cant build on Iron Ore, thinking Compilatron did some Plot Magic to be able to place shit. Sure such a misconception can be cleared right away, or even prevented by having a custom Error Message stating "Scenario wont let you build here right now", but it can still be confusing or irritating. (even if the Tutorial is too small to have that happen)

I dont know for sure if it exists, but having something that marks a Tile as "Unbuildable" for scenario purposes might be useful, especially if attempting to build on such a Tile results in an Error Message that is different from lack of space or something being in the way.
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

I got another Idea!

If you try to build in those spaces Compilatron could drive over and tell you that he plans to build something there, so you instantly get an explanation why its a Scenario Blocked Tile!

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by wheybags »

This is known, and won't be fixed, sorry. It's just not worth adding more complicated logic, and the amount anyone can realistically lose is minimal.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Yeah, it's just a pet peeve that whenever Resources are deleted for whatever reason I want to fix that deletion right away. I prefer making Matter as opposed to Deleting Matter. XD

And it's indeed just a tiny thing, though I would say it does set the example that deleting stuff just happens in scenarios, which can lead to a less nice first impression for newcomers, than the one they would have had if "Compilatron" actually thought about giving their Stuff back. ;)

Return to “Won't fix.”