[0.17.36][Linux] Unable to create world (Operation not permitted)

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
JakubW
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.36][Linux] Unable to create world (Operation not permitted)

Post by JakubW »

Hello

I have Windows 10 and Linux Mint 17.1 on my laptop. They have their own, separated partitions (Windows - NTFS, Linux - EXT4). I have also one shared partition formated as FUSE file system. Formatted by mkfs.exfat command (The file system doesn't support ownerships and permissions). It's mounted by /etc/fstab line:

Code: Select all

/dev/disk/by-uuid/8E1D-5982 /mnt/SSSD auto rw,nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
I'm able to read and write on it without problems. On the SSSD partition there is factorio folder with executable for windows and linux (yeah, shared resources).
The game works, i'm able to join servers, play, save worlds from servers and load them. However, I can't create new world due to this error:

Also: I saw those warnings always when I leave a server:

55.855 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:89: Couldn't set /mnt/SSSD/factorio/blueprint-storage.tmp.dat permissions to 777: Operation not permitted
    55.855 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:96: Couldn't chown /mnt/SSSD/factorio/blueprint-storage.tmp.dat: Operation not permitted
Those when I start the game:

7.739 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:89: Couldn't set /mnt/SSSD/factorio/config/config.tmp.ini permissions to 777: Operation not permitted
   7.739 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:96: Couldn't chown /mnt/SSSD/factorio/config/config.tmp.ini: Operation not permitted
   7.811 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:89: Couldn't set /mnt/SSSD/factorio/config/config.tmp.ini permissions to 777: Operation not permitted
   7.811 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:96: Couldn't chown /mnt/SSSD/factorio/config/config.tmp.ini: Operation not permitted
And those when I exit the game:

85.897 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:89: Couldn't set /mnt/SSSD/factorio/player-data.tmp.json permissions to 777: Operation not permitted
  85.897 Warning WriteFileGuard.cpp:96: Couldn't chown /mnt/SSSD/factorio/player-data.tmp.json: Operation not permitted
On Windows everything works good. So, I think you just need to add support for partitions without permissions support on Linux - just ignore these warnings if present.

I hope this will be fixed in next update, because it's not difficult-to-fix bug, I suppose.

BTW: Sorry for my bad English

JakubW
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.36][Linux] Unable to create world (Operation not permitted)

Post by JakubW »

OK
Fixed id by transforming the exFAT partition into fat32 one and chaning /etc/fstab line into:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/D227-4F25 /mnt/SSSD auto rw,nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022 0 0
Not only Factorio had this problem, Android Studio complained too. But now it's ok, so I think We can ignore this.

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.36][Linux] Unable to create world (Operation not permitted)

Post by wheybags »

Marking as won't fix, since pretty much nothing but basic file storage works on a fat32 partition on linux, due to the missing permissions support you mentioned.
I presume the reason you do this is so you can have a shared partition to use for both linux and windows? If so, you might consider using NTFS with a UserMapping file, which can make the NTFS driver do proper unix permissions. I found a decent explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/697218/ ... 237#697237

Return to “Won't fix.”