[kovarex] [0.17.9] "Electric mining drill can only be built on resources" message does not appear when placing ghost

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
piderman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.9] "Electric mining drill can only be built on resources" message does not appear when placing ghost

Post by piderman »

A minor thing but something I noticed today. When trying to place a mining drill outside of ore, the message "Electric mining drill can only be built on resources" appears. However when trying to place the ghost of an electric mining drill, the message does not appear, when I would expect it to appear in the same way. Other messages *do* appear correctly for mining drill ghost placements, like "Electric mining drill is in the way".

ejg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.9] "Electric mining drill can only be built on resources" message does not appear when placing ghost

Post by ejg »

I would expect you would be able to build ghosts anywhere actually.

What if you actually build a ghost on a single cell ore patch, and then you mine away that ore patch using an adjacent mine? Is the ghost still build once a mine and bots are available?

So shouldn't it be possible to build mines anywhere? Or to place ghosts anywhere but that they are not build once the ore is removed/was never present?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.9] "Electric mining drill can only be built on resources" message does not appear when placing ghost

Post by kovarex »

The reason behind this is, that the result of ghost building is the same as a result of blueprint building. For blueprints we have this logic of the mines without resource to be ignored (nothing is build and no error is given), so you can have a bigger mine blueprints with the mines without resources ignored.

So I propose to just leave it as it is

Return to “Won't fix.”