[posila] [0.17.1] Flamethrower turret aiming incorrectly

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Acid_Burn9
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [posila] [0.17.1] Flamethrower turret aiming incorrectly

Post by Acid_Burn9 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 pm
I don't see it. Please edit your screenshot to highlight it?
Attachments
Снимок экрана (444).png
Снимок экрана (444).png (13.95 MiB) Viewed 5116 times

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I don't see the issue range violation there. The center of the flame patch is on the edge, and it's AOE expanded to hit the other turrets.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Acid_Burn9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Acid_Burn9 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 pm
I don't see the issue range violation there. The center of the flame patch is on the edge, and it's AOE expanded to hit the other turrets.
Weren't flame turrets designed to be in one line with other turrets? They even were made 3x2 for convenient pipe connection, when they are in this line. So if they damage turrets, that are in same line with them - they are clearly not working as intended.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Acid_Burn9 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Weren't flame turrets designed to be in one line with other turrets? They even were made 3x2 for convenient pipe connection, when they are in this line. So if they damage turrets, that are in same line with them - they are clearly not working as intended.
Yea, I'm just point out that technically speaking it is working as intended, but the intended is wrong.
The minimum range at maximum angle left or right, plus the flame AOE is enough to damage nearby turrets. This, obviously should not be the case.

I was just trying to figure out if it was violating the actual, displayed range. I mean, throw a grenade at max range. It will damage things outside of the range because of it's AOE, but you still can't throw it further than max range. I couldn't tell if it was just that at minimum range it caused problems, or if it was actually ignoring the minimum range/angle because of target leading.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Acid_Burn9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Acid_Burn9 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 pm
Acid_Burn9 wrote:

Yea, I'm just point out that technically speaking it is working as intended, but the intended is wrong.
The minimum range at maximum angle left or right, plus the flame AOE is enough to damage nearby turrets. This, obviously should not be the case.

I was just trying to figure out if it was violating the actual, displayed range. I mean, throw a grenade at max range. It will damage things outside of the range because of it's AOE, but you still can't throw it further than max range. I couldn't tell if it was just that at minimum range it caused problems, or if it was actually ignoring the minimum range/angle because of target leading.
Well. Maybe you are right. But the issue remains. So all we can do is wait for fix now.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Acid_Burn9 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:
Hmm, I've never tried doing it (EDIT : and packing them so densely, my screenshot is actually an outlier), but I see what you mean. But only the developers would know...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

CobaltBlue
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CobaltBlue »

I think the problem is that it's predicting the biters will be at the location past the wall (as if there is no wall) and fires before any collision is detected with the outer wall. I don't think there is any range violation.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Can you upload your saves, please? I am going to disable target leading for flamethrower turrets for 0.17.3, but your saves will be helpfull when researching how to make it better.

Acid_Burn9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Acid_Burn9 »

posila wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:47 am
Can you upload your saves, please? I am going to disable target leading for flamethrower turrets for 0.17.3, but your saves will be helpfull when researching how to make it better.
Here is my save (cant upload here files bigger, than 15MB). Most intense attacks happening in top left corner of the map and a bit lower.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/96117twfxd2h4 ... 5.zip?dl=0
Here is wall blueprint
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
After discussion up there i think its better to rework flame turret range, or do something like

Code: Select all

if{no.player.build.sctructures.here=true}[shoot.here=true]
(Make turret unable to shoot within some range from allied buildings at all.)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Leaving target leading in, but increasing the turret minimum range by 1-2* tiles should work too for 1-layered lines of turrets.**

*2 tiles if you want for the player to safely walk in a tile left between the turret and the wall.

**flame turret pushing (in the form of "bunny-hopping") is still likely to be pretty hard/risky... but perhaps it *should* be ?
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

posila wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:47 am
Still lead the target but check that the firing position is within the turret's aiming box. If it isn't snap it to the nearest point along the line between biter and the "bad" firing position that is inside the aiming box. Or be lazy and snap it to the closest point inside aiming area.

My base is gonna need some serious flame turret rework. I have my turrets spaced a ways back so they cover a lot of the wall. With this target leading mine are gonna take out everything. Even if target leading was in the aiming box. lol.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

credomane wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 pm

Still lead the target but check that the firing position is within the turret's aiming box. If it isn't snap it to the nearest point along the line between biter and the "bad" firing position that is inside the aiming box. Or be lazy and snap it to the closest point inside aiming area.

My base is gonna need some serious flame turret rework. I have my turrets spaced a ways back so they cover a lot of the wall. With this target leading mine are gonna take out everything. Even if target leading was in the aiming box. lol.
Pretty sure we established that it never violated the aim box, just that the aim box was always too close to the turret.

Just increase the minimum range by like 3 tiles. That ought to fix most of it.
Or else aim leading should take into account walls/obstacles, but that might be expensive.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

pistols39
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pistols39 »

this is an interesting topic.

i agree that adding logic to detect outer defense is OTT.

Is aim leading really necessary? i thought the fact that flame turrets were slightly behind the first biter(s) were to balance them out. if they can predict where biters are going to be then is this too overpowering? it would be interesting to understand the reason for it's inclusion.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

pistols39 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:36 pm
this is an interesting topic.

i agree that adding logic to detect outer defense is OTT.

Is aim leading really necessary? i thought the fact that flame turrets were slightly behind the first biter(s) were to balance them out. if they can predict where biters are going to be then is this too overpowering? it would be interesting to understand the reason for it's inclusion.
Probably because its a stream weapon like the new spitters, so it made sense to have it lead it's targets too.

Also, having it intentionally miss, or not even try would be kinda sad.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, it's not like they didn't work pretty well in 0.16 without the leading...
pistols39 wrote:
I agree that it's worth considering.
0.17 Fire leading makes them less distinct from instant shot Gun/Laser (and homing shot 0.16 Laser)...

(Artillery being kind of in a category of its own? Does it even fire on biters/spitters ?)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:46 pm
Well, it's not like they didn't work pretty well in 0.16 without the leading...
pistols39 wrote:
I agree that it's worth considering.
0.17 Fire leading makes them less distinct from instant shot Gun/Laser (and homing shot 0.16 Laser)...

(Artillery being kind of in a category of its own? Does it even fire on biters/spitters ?)
Artillery does not automatically fire on mobile forces. Just spawners or worms in it's "Short" range. And probably structures for multiplayer, but i've never seen that myself.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Oh, right, it only autofires on the expansion parties once they start morphing into buildings...

Acid_Burn9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Acid_Burn9 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 pm
Oh, right, it only autofires on the expansion parties once they start morphing into buildings...
Yup. Artillery auto-targeting works only on spawners and worms.

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

side question: my landmines are all dying in fire now. is this new/intended, i don't remember this from 0.16? i noticed that my robots are replacing them, but they get destroyed immediately, sending the robot in a loop. that definitely wasn't the case two days ago.....

Azzinoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Azzinoth »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
The center of the flame patch is on the edge, and it's AOE expanded to hit the other turrets.
From the screenshots you can easily see thats exactly the problem. If the flamethrower is aiming at a point P on the edge of the target area then it can also damage stuff at a maximum distance r outside of the target area, where r is the AOE/splash-radius of the fire. However the player expects stuff outside of the target area to be safe. The easiest fix is probably to make the actual internal target area by r smaller on all sides, than the shown area. That way the turret shows a damage area, rather than a target area. If you don't want to make the range of the turret smaller compared to 0.16, you can compensate by increasing the maximum range by r, but not the minimum range.

Return to “Won't fix.”