[0.16.51] Hover over specific Miner causes game freeze

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16.51] Hover over specific Miner causes game freeze

Post by Muppet9010 »

Factorio version: 0.16.51
Mods (many): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SOALu ... 5CWHR6kx3A
Save Game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9yqz73tza3fc ... a.zip?dl=0

Issue: When you hover over a specific miner the game freezes and it looks to be doing a memory dump to hard disk (I have 2 GB memory spare when on the map).

Also with this miner present and connected to the circuit network it causes UPS spikes from 0.7 to 7-8 on the circuit network every 5 seconds odd. If you decon the miner without hovering over it the UPS spikes go away.
This was a multiplayer map and in that case the server never dies, but it freezes for a minute and all clients are dropped. They can reconnect a minute later and the game state is exactly when everyone timed out.

Miner in question:
  1. Load save with mods and settings referenced
  2. Enable the time usage debug menu option
  3. Wait for 5-10 seconds and you should see a UPS spike on the circuit network
  4. Move the camera to the below location and either hover over the miner (game freezes/memory to disk dump) or decon it (UPS spikes stop).
    area highlighted yellow
    area highlighted yellow
    zoomed out.GIF (445.89 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
    miner highlighed yellow
    miner highlighed yellow
    zoomed in.GIF (643.19 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Hover over specific Miner causes game freeze

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's likely due to the crazy ore generation you're running and not likely to be changed. You enabled "whole patch" in the circuit network settings and "whole patch" is your entire map.

Simply put: you can't use that setting if you're also using that crazy ore generation.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Muppet9010 »

I think using that was an oversight by someone as the other wired miners look to be set to this miners ore only.

On the game engine side I agree it is an unusual situation created by the dangOreus mod, but would a limit to the patch size search not be appropriate at the game engine level. I would of thought generating 2 GB of temp data during the ore calculating process should be outside of supported operations of the game engine?
Like you have limits on bots or pathfinding max actions per tick.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Also... I realize that this is a rather niche problem, but would it be feasible to cache patch sizes for something like this or thread it? I realize that with circuit network accuracy/determinism it may not be a good idea to limit the amount checked by tick, but I feel like there should at least be some solution.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

One solution would be to modify dangOreus to not generate ore fields spanning the entire map.
It would either have to introduce non-ore gaps (probably not what you want) or ensure that ore patches are diverse enough so that they do not connect into one consecutive field.
I don't know, how far ore patches have to be apart to not count as connected and whether patches of a different ore connect other patches though...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yeah, I did see a version of dangOreous that had more circular bands of ores and that had a significantly smaller drop in performance, although I see how that might take a small bit of the challenge away.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 pm
Yeah, I did see a version of dangOreous that had more circular bands of ores and that had a significantly smaller drop in performance, although I see how that might take a small bit of the challenge away.
It should be possible without having to do circles. But the needed logic surely is non-trivial. And whether it would significantly reduce the mod's puzzle hardness really depends on how small clusters may get before the game starts merging them into one giant field. As you can only build miners on ore, beeing able to pick some spots for pure ore mining will probably not get you much in puzzle difficulty reduction. So square clusters of 5x5 should be fine - if they work.
Someone (not me *g*) would have to test that.

Return to “Won't fix.”