[0.16.41] minor train pump connection error

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Zanostra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.16.41] minor train pump connection error

Post by Zanostra »

I manually drove a train and made a random stop and didn't want to connect the pumps to the fluid wagons, so I deliberately misaligned with the pumps.
But somehow they actually did connect where they weren't supposed to.
They bent the wrong way, but they do work, and exchange fluids.
train pump.png
train pump.png (531.45 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
( modded and vanilla )

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.41] minor train pump connection error

Post by Aeternus »

Are you certain this train is aligned properly with the rail grid? When you place a pump it'll highlight a 4 block wide space on the rail which it can connect to, stations should align with this grid as well. This wagon looks misaligned with that grid. Remove and re-place the pump, see if the highlighted block covers one of the wagons "tanks" or is stuck inbetween.
Also, if the train was just built it'll sometimes not connect the wagons to the pumps properly. Manually back it up slightly, then tell it to go to the station. That usually fixes it.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Aeternus wrote:Are you certain this train is aligned properly with the rail grid? When you place a pump it'll highlight a 4 block wide space on the rail which it can connect to, stations should align with this grid as well. This wagon looks misaligned with that grid. Remove and re-place the pump, see if the highlighted block covers one of the wagons "tanks" or is stuck inbetween.
Also, if the train was just built it'll sometimes not connect the wagons to the pumps properly. Manually back it up slightly, then tell it to go to the station. That usually fixes it.
I believe he wanted the pumps not to connect to the train, but they did.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Zanostra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zanostra »

true, I did not want them to connect.
I just tried again, and I had some trouble to get it again, at least on a straight rail.
on a straight track it goes fine, but when the loco is making a turn, the alignment is off.
I recreated it from scratch.
train pump.png
train pump.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2215 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Personally I think this is probably not a bug. From memory, pumps connect to manually built trains which are misaligned, still in manual mode and missing locomotives. So I would expect a pump to connect to any manual train that stops with a rail tanker in range. The only real question is whether pumps should connect to trains in manual mode.

Meddleman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meddleman »

The only "bug" here is perhaps the graphical misallignment of pump-head to tanker-sprite "valve", but as for its behaviour in Manual, this is normal.

A cargo-wagon on a Manually set train will open/activate its contents as soon as it is on a perfectly 90° perpendicular straight piece of rail. Any deviation and it won't.
ezgif-3-f6e619f47e.gif
ezgif-3-f6e619f47e.gif (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2160 times
However nothing will open if the train is set to Automatic, which generally means it only allows itself to open at designated stations in its orders.

I assume this same logic applies to Tanker wagons, which explains your bewilderment OP, since there is no real "animation" to show that a tank is "opened" or "closed".

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Oh, I see. It's because the locomotive is on the curve; some weird drawing logic kicks in that shifts wagons visually (but not actually), so wagons are in aligned position, but are drawn with some offset. If you mined the locomotive, wagons would jump to their real positon.
I don't really see us fixing this, I am sorry.

Return to “Won't fix.”