[15.28] Item placement discrepancy from inserters to belts

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
traycer
Inserter
Inserter

[15.28] Item placement discrepancy from inserters to belts

Post by traycer »

This bug has different symptoms than the behaviour described in viewtopic.php?f=213&t=50651, but I suspect they share the same root cause, and thus will likely be solved with the 0.16 belt mechanics optimization. I'll leave it to the devs to decide if this can be moved to the "Resolved for 0.16" category.

Inserters that start in sync should stay in sync when depositing items on belts, provided there is adequate supply from chests and no bottlenecks on the belts. However, inserters at or near chunk boundaries will slowly fall out of sync with the others at a rate of one tick per cycle. Exactly which inserters are affected seems to depend as well on the stack size of the inserter as well as the orientation of inserter. This video demonstrates the phenomenon with a stack size of 12 items and of 7 items.

https://streamable.com/bto7h

The cause of the desync is a discrepancy in the placement of the first item in the stack. Most inserters will deposit the item very close to the the location of the gripper on the inserter arm. However, the desynced inserters deposit the items slightly downstream (in the direction of belt travel). For express belts, this means the inserters only need to wait 2 ticks before depositing the second item. Subsequent items are then dropped once every 3 ticks. Other inserters need to wait 3 ticks between the first and second items. This causes a desynchronization that grows by 1 tick per cycle. The problem goes away if the stack size is set to 1 or if the inserter is moved away from a chunk boundary.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [15.28] Item placement discrepancy from inserters to belts

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this is simply how the game works. Entities have an order they're updated in and that happens to be chunk based.

I'm going to say we won't fix this.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't fix.”