[0.15.10] Damaged items in Assembling Machine output

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
wolletd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.10] Damaged items in Assembling Machine output

Post by wolletd »

I just stumbled upon this reddit post and haven't found a related report here.

When a damaged item is placed in the output slot of the appropriate assembling machine, the machine starts consuming resources and producing items without ever creating output. I randomly tested this with underground belts, underground pipes and assembling machines 2.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Damage entity
2. Place damaged entity into output slot of assembling machine producing that entity
3. Watch assembling machine producing into the void

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.10] Damaged items in Assembling Machine output

Post by searker »

IIRC, there was a statement regarding the outputted science packs of rocket silos:
Should a rocket with a sattelite be launched while there are still packs in the silo, the excess packs wont be voided but buffered internally, reappearing once enough room for them is given.

Thes same could apply in this case - What does happen once you remove the damaged item and run another production cycle? Do the items reappear or are they indeed lost?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Since this is such a rare thing and you have to manually interact with the assembling machine and purposefully put an item into the output slot (not something normally done) and because the "fix" would add overhead to every running assembly machine/furnace I'm going to say we won't fix this.

Simply don't do that :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

KaiserTom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KaiserTom »

I would say just prevent the player from trying to shove damaged items into the output of the machine and throw an error at them saying that. The game already does this when players try to shove the wrong item into the output, e.g. placing engines in the output when the assembler is actually making science packs. I mean, this condition only happens when the player manually interacts with the machine and try to put an item into the output, so I figure the check wouldn't be running at all points causing too much problem.

wolletd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wolletd »

KaiserTom wrote:I would say just prevent the player from trying to shove damaged items into the output of the machine and throw an error at them saying that. The game already does this when players try to shove the wrong item into the output, e.g. placing engines in the output when the assembler is actually making science packs. I mean, this condition only happens when the player manually interacts with the machine and try to put an item into the output, so I figure the check wouldn't be running at all points causing too much problem.
This sounds great.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

searker wrote:IIRC, there was a statement regarding the outputted science packs of rocket silos:
Should a rocket with a sattelite be launched while there are still packs in the silo, the excess packs wont be voided but buffered internally, reappearing once enough room for them is given.

Thes same could apply in this case - What does happen once you remove the damaged item and run another production cycle? Do the items reappear or are they indeed lost?
I just tried this.
Fired 3 rockets then emptied the silo. Only 2k packs ever appeared.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

This has been fixed. The assembler now just stops working.
Attachments
47454.jpg
47454.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”