Rail planner ghost breaks for single hotkey

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Rail planner ghost breaks for single hotkey

Post by Vulkandrache »

Having started another round of Factorio after taking a break for several month i came back to find the Rail planner being a thing now.

Standing infront of a forest i tried to get the thing to build a ghost entity over the trees. Didnt work.

Checking the wiki and tutorial videos made it look easy.

After 30 minutes i figured it out.

I have build ghost bound to mouse5. If i click mouse5 on the rail arrow it automaticaly goes into the normal ghost mode in which it doesnt go over obstacles.
Only by rebinding the key to shift+something was i able to make the ghostrails go the shortest route, since then i can hold down shift.

1. Flip the default behavior, so ghost goes shortest route without pressing a key.
2. Make it so one can build ghosts properly like with every other thing in the game. Currently build ghost does nothing while in the normal 10 tile rail planner. Why cant i ghost those 10 rails.
Its highly annoying that i have to decide between normal and ghost before i even start planning. Both modes should allow for infinite distance, the normal simply only builds the first 10 pieces.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Rail planner ghost breaks for single hotkey

Post by Rseding91 »

That's not a bug. You're just suggesting we change a feature we designed to work as it does.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Vulkandrache wrote: Only by rebinding the key to shift+something was i able to make the ghostrails go the shortest route, since then i can hold down shift..
We're aware of this issue, but the fix would be quite complex, and not worth the added logic

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

So we got a reply for everybody. The up your ass #*f%u§#& style, and the diplomatic leader style.

Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vulkandrache »

Rseding91 wrote:That's not a bug. You're just suggesting we change a feature we designed to work as it does.
Ill be looking for a different game then. Hotkeys should cater to the player not the other way around.

Klonan wrote: We're aware of this issue, but the fix would be quite complex, and not worth the added logic
I know nothing about programming but all im asking for is an option where i can tell the game to allways use the shortest route ghost mode
as if shift is pressed all the time. How hard can that be and what kind of logic would that require?

Return to “Won't fix.”