[0.14.0-3] Player movement during desynch

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Rednax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.14.0-3] Player movement during desynch

Post by Rednax »

Hello industrial engineers,

Found this bug while having a heart attack due to almost being run over by a train.
When a player is moving while a desync happens, the player will continue to move during the catching up phase. This leads to dangerous and very unwanted behaviour. The expected behaviour here would be to stop the player movement when a desync happens.
Fortunately, my little engineer froggered the trains like a pro; (if pro's run in straight lines, that is).

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.14.0-3] Player movement during desynch

Post by Loewchen »

Just to make sure, what is it that you mean with desync?

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

That thing where it says desync name will disconnect. This bug does not seem to be dependent on cause.

Rednax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rednax »

It is as TheVeteranNoob says.
When catching up after a desync, the player character is already spawned, hence it is possible that is keep running. This is different from a disconnect, where the player character is removed from the game and only created again when the player has caught up.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We want to prevent the desyncs from happening in the first place. Optimizing them to be comfortable isn't the goal.

Fahrradkette
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fahrradkette »

That feeling of powerlessness is the most frustrating ever. I mean, I wouldn't care that much if I happened to "catch up" on a rail track, but to actually prevent that running into the wilderness, one has to use robots to place walls in front of oneself each time he wants to use "wasd"

I don't get it why the game has to restore the movement while disabling the controls.

PS: would ctrl+c help to stop the catching up process? I'm thinking of getting a second factorio account to also log in to the server to place walls in front of the dc'ed character

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

Every update seems to come with a new source of desyncs. Being almost gurenteed to be killed by them because you started running at the speed of light tends to be way worse than any other bug.

Return to “Won't fix.”