[0.14.1][Modding] Uninterruptable Movement

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.14.1][Modding] Uninterruptable Movement

Post by kiba »

I wrote a mod for controlling player's movement.

Part of my expectation is the ability to interrupt automated movement using WASD keys to redirect character movement elsewhere.

That became not possible with 0.14.1 release.

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional.

I updated the current revision of my mod and a savefile demonstrating that issue(you'll be going in a loop when you load the file).
Attachments
MFsave_0.2.0.zip
(4.15 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
MagneticFloor_0.2.0.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by kiba on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.14.1][Modding] Uninterruptable Movement

Post by Rseding91 »

You've never been able to block player movement through mods. That's not a bug.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Rseding91 wrote:You've never been able to block player movement through mods. That's not a bug.
My mod's purpose is doing automation of movement, not blocking player movement.

However, in this version, my mod does block player movement. This is a new bug.

zackman0010
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zackman0010 »

Kiba explained it better in our chat room when he first discovered the bug. His mod gives movements orders to the player's character during certain conditions. Pre-0.14, the player would be able to break out of kiba's movement orders by simply moving as normal with WASD keys. However, since the 0.14 update, that method did not work in his testing.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Please post steps on your first post here with steps to reproduce the issue in 0.13 and 0.14 explaining better what was happening and what is happening now.

I think this might be related to some of the network packet size reduction work that was done for 0.14.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Rseding91 wrote:Please post steps on your first post here with steps to reproduce the issue in 0.13 and 0.14 explaining better what was happening and what is happening now.

I think this might be related to some of the network packet size reduction work that was done for 0.14.
I reuploaded the renamed savefile to make it clearer that it is the savefile, and not the mod. MagneticFloor is the mod.

When you load the savefile and the mod, take note that you will be moving around in an infinite loop.

What was happening: You can break out of the loop by using WASD. Note, that merely give the player temporary control. It will then quickly revert back to automatic control by the mod once the keypresses stop coming. Automatic control will end when the user is not on the copper path(frequently by using WASD to move off the pathway), or that the charges(indicated on upper left-corner) becomes zero.

What is happening now: You cannot use WASD to break out of the loop. Any such keypresses by the player does nothing.

I hope this helps.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I talked to Kovarex about this and he said he's not going to change it back.

There where changes in 0.14 to reduce the amount of network traffic when walking around which results in what you're experiencing.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Rseding91 wrote:I talked to Kovarex about this and he said he's not going to change it back.

There where changes in 0.14 to reduce the amount of network traffic when walking around which results in what you're experiencing.
OK. Then I'll need to decide what to do with this limitation imposed on my mod. I can't use WASD to break out, but I don't think this is such a big breaking change either.

Return to “Won't fix.”