[1.1.73] resource paths aren’t recognized for mods with certain patterns of underscores in their names

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
secelt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.73] resource paths aren’t recognized for mods with certain patterns of underscores in their names

Post by secelt »

i was testing which patterns of mod names are actually allowed, since the wiki is a bit ambiguous on this. when making test mods, i figured out that if a mod’s name begins or ends with an underscore or contains a sequence of 2 or more underscores, it is not parsed correctly in resource paths. they are still parsed fine by the mods menu, though.

attached are four mods and their corresponding log files. each mod is intended to change the texture of the tile “lab-dark-2”; they differ only in their names. among these, only “abc_def” works; “abc_”, “abc__def” and “_def” all generate the same error when loading, where their “__modname__/path” is not recognized.

the expected behavior is that all of these work fine: underscores are explicitly allowed in mod names, after all! if this is intended behavior, some clarification on the wiki would be nice.

thank you!
Attachments
mods.zip
these are the mods; to install, simply unzip them in your mods folder.
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
_def.log
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
abc_def.log
(4.48 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
abc__def.log
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
abc_.log
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.73] resource paths aren’t recognized for mods with certain patterns of underscores in their names

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we won’t be fixing any of these. This is a case of “stop hitting yourself” :) best case we ban those mod names which isn’t going to fix anything. So the answer is simple; don’t name a mod with leading or trailing underscores.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't fix.”