[0.16.28] Train position indicator on signals is slightly off

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.28] Train position indicator on signals is slightly off

Post by Teraka »

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
When hovering over the chain signal, only one rectangle for train positions is indicated, which means that a 2-long train shouldn't be able to fit without clipping into the next block.
However, when a 1-1 train stops there, it just barely fits, leaving the next block unoccupied as shown in screenshot 2.

The train got there in automatic mode so it's properly aligned, and I've checked with different signal types, fuel sources and train composition (loco/wagon, wagon/loco, loco/loco) just to be sure.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.28] Train position indicator on signals is slightly off

Post by seePyou »

The way I read the signal mouse over picture is that on the upper track, only one thing fits (so only an engine) and on the other two tracks, two things fit (an engine and a wagon, or two engines). That is why you are clipping. Wagons will also trigger the train block and thus the signal.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

seePyou wrote:The way I read the signal mouse over picture is that on the upper track, only one thing fits (so only an engine) and on the other two tracks, two things fit (an engine and a wagon, or two engines). That is why you are clipping. Wagons will also trigger the train block and thus the signal.
That's exactly what the preview system is showing :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kitcat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kitcat »

The thing is, the train isn’t clipping into the previous section. All three signals in the top right are green. If the train was clipping into the previous section, the left signal should be red.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Because the indicator shows the full length of the train stock, while it can overlap a little in reality.
I prefer the indicator to not overlap the signal.
In the future, we might improve the internal train mechanics in a way that problems like this (and overlaping trains) will be removed, but It is for a different time.

Return to “Won't fix.”