[0.15.36] Train cars can have rail mined from under them

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.15.36] Train cars can have rail mined from under them

Post by Cribbit »

Not sure if this is a bug or not but figured it was worth reporting before I started taking too much advantage of it.

Picture describes it best.

Each car is in a position where if removed it could not be placed again as there are only 2 pieces of track under them. This is done by placing the car as far to the edge of 3 tracks as possible then mining the far piece of track. This is where I believe the glitch lies if this is a glitch, whether or not that piece of track should be mineable.

You can keep doing this as far as you want. All four of the inserters between each pair of cars will move items between the cars in either direction. This 4 inserter state is easily possible between just 2 cars by edge placing two trains towards each other, it is only extensible to many traincars by using the ability to mine away the far rail.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.36] Train cars can have rail mined from under them

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. While it may look weird this isn't breaking anything and if the rails are minable they're not required for the cargo wagon to work correctly. So with that in mind I'm going to say we won't change anything and leave it as it is.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. While it may look weird this isn't breaking anything and if the rails are minable they're not required for the cargo wagon to work correctly. So with that in mind I'm going to say we won't change anything and leave it as it is.
Yay. After some testing there are some cool things I can do with this and they require having quad stack inserters between the carts.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Except that it turns out if two inserters start going at the same time but the target doesn't have room for the 2nd one then the 2nd inserter sits waiting for room. Time for circuitry! (or is this a bug? would be nice if the inserter didn't jam, but I'm guessing this one's intended for sure)

EDIT: Huh, inserters will grab and wait to insert on a full target. Never knew that. Makes sense, I guess. I really hope I can solve this with circuitry. It sucks that enable/disable doesn't make an inserter return its held items but I understand why that has to be the case.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Cribbit wrote: Each car is in a position where if removed it could not be placed again as there are only 2 pieces of track under them.
Placing cars on two tracks isn't impossible at all. You just have to be very precise as there's only about 1-2 pixels where it works.
2trackwagon.jpg
2trackwagon.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

eradicator wrote:
Cribbit wrote: Each car is in a position where if removed it could not be placed again as there are only 2 pieces of track under them.
Placing cars on two tracks isn't impossible at all. You just have to be very precise as there's only about 1-2 pixels where it works.
2trackwagon.jpg
whoooaaaaaaaaa

This solves everything! I was having issues where as soon as I placed a train I could no longer set filters/wiring on the filter inserters underneath them. The deadlock on full slots still causes some problems but it's impossible to get around if I can't put circuitry.

Also if you can still place them on two tracks then I definitely don't think this is a glitch. I only reported this because I thought I was putting a wagon into a state it couldn't be by just placing.

Return to “Won't fix.”