[0.15.23] Odd sprite behaviors

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Asonael
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.23] Odd sprite behaviors

Post by Asonael »

I've been switching back and forth between Normal and Low sprite resolutions for FPS reasons, trying to make the game run better. I have noticed a few slightly odd behaviors of a couple sprites.

Example one:

Normal sprite resolution.

Low sprite resolution.

In the lower resolution, the reticle is 'larger', but only because I think it's actually the same size and isn't scaled down. Personally I like the larger version of this, mainly because it's easier to see in combat, but I know isn't intended.

This can also be seen on enemy bases, even more so, and will bring up another issue:

Now the second issue is this: the reticle is off center. Not by much, but there is something causing it to be off slightly. Some comparative pictures:

Normal sprite resoluton.
ImageImage

The upper, left, and bottom bounding for the reticle is the same as the enemy base selection, but goes off to the right.

Low sprite resolution.
ImageImage

The bounding box on this base is off to the right, and also offsets the reticle. There is 'empty space' to the right of this spitter base, and base 'hanging out' to the left.
Attachments
Lazy Bastard.zip
(19.24 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
factorio-current.log
(27.22 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by Asonael on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asonael
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.15.23] Odd sprite behaviors

Post by Asonael »

Here's another:
Most notably in this screenshot, taken on Low sprite resolution setting, is that the non-charging accumulator, power pole and armor worn by the player all all higher resolution than the others.

Asonael
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Asonael »

Seems to be a bigger issue.

Low sprite resolution setting:

Normal sprite resolution setting:

If I didn't know which is which, I could absolutely not tell that one was 'low' resolution and one was 'normal'.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report and images however we don't plan on fixing this. Anything below "normal" tells the graphics system "do what you want with sprites to make them fit in VRAM" which means it's free to compress/resize them as it sees fit.

As you can see it "randomly" picks sprites to downsize/compress and you get these results.

We aren't looking to spend any time improving that system as the game is meant to be played on normal or high - which you can do if your system meets the minimum requirements we post for the game.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't fix.”