Quote accuracy

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Quote accuracy

Post by BicycleEater »

Not sure this should be here or in suggestions, but:
Why is there no check for whether what you have quoted is actually what was posted, or a way of approving quotes of yourself - There is nothing stopping me just changing what someone said in a quote of that person:
SomeoneElse wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2000 12:00 am
This was just chosen at random - sorry if anyone gets this as a notification. Note that the time, user-name, user ID, and post ID are all different. TBH I don't know who will get the notification
It seems odd to me that there is no validation that I can see... Although I will work this out when I post this (please don't ban me for breaking quoting rules).

Even something as simple as checking that the time, user-name, userID, and postID match would help a lot, as then if someone is mis-quoted, they are certain to know about it. At the minute, by simply changing the user-ID to your own, you can hide the quote from the originator... I think.
EDIT:
Although I didn't get a notification from this, so who knows...

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Quote accuracy

Post by Deadlock989 »

phpBB has been around for 20 years. It's open source so feel free to submit a patch.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

OK, cool.
TBH I was just as much experimenting with what would happen if I corrupted a quote like that.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

In general I have never seen this misused before. I think that this is a place where the honor system and a communal trust moderate well.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

BicycleEater wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 am
Not sure this should be here or in suggestions, but:
Why is there no check for whether what you have quoted is actually what was posted,[add tons of crap here] or a way of approving quotes of yourself - There is nothing stopping me just changing what someone said in a quote of that person.
there is a little arrow like this one => ^ juste afer the word "wrote" introducing the quotation. It should link toward the quoted post. If not you can always claim the quotation is fallacious, and the link allow to verify the context and the accuracy of the quote.

nothing prevent anyone from doing a quote without this link.
random unlinked quote

As AmericanPatriot, i have never seen this misused in this forum.

Sometimes quote are modified to sum up, also it allows to format part of the original quotation to highlight what you are refering to precisely.
BicycleEater wrote:
Not sure this should be here or in suggestions, but: (long text)
At the minute, by simply changing the user-ID to your own, you can hide the quote from the originator... I think.
EDIT:
If you click the arrow you'll get transferred to the original post_id.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Unfortunately, after someone has been quoted verbatim, there's also nothing stopping that person from editing his/her post to say something different.

So if a quote doesn't match the supposed original, there's no way to know which is correct.

Here's an example where I quoted, and then the original poster changed his text. You can see he changed it because the change doesn't make grammatical sense.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93630&p=529743&hili ... rn#p529743

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

As far as I have experimented, quoting on phpbb forums has is just a formatting effect. No subscription to the thread for the user you have quoted, no check whatsoever.
Modifying a quote of someone's post is common
BicycleEater wrote:
[...]
Pretty much like so. As such it's a useful feature. It has seldom been abused on purpose on this forum afaik. And if someone came to do so, that wouldn't last long.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Koub wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 pm
As far as I have experimented, quoting on phpbb forums has is just a formatting effect. No subscription to the thread for the user you have quoted, no check whatsoever.
You get a notification if someone quoted you. (at least I do, I don't even know if I could disable it)
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:23 pm
You get a notification if someone quoted you. (at least I do, I don't even know if I could disable it)
You can, in board preferences.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

mmmPI wrote:
there is a little arrow like this one => ^ juste afer the word "wrote" introducing the quotation. It should link toward the quoted post. If not you can always claim the quotation is fallacious, and the link allow to verify the context and the accuracy of the quote.

nothing prevent anyone from doing a quote without this link.
Like this one you mean?

It just seems like the rules are a bit relaxed - even just forcing a link to be given would help, as then you would have to reference the original.
I know what you mean about the honour system, and I am OK with that, it just seems awfully troll-able.

I am fine with this being considered closed, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only person who has seen this as a kind of weakness...

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BicycleEater wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 pm
I am fine with this being considered closed, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only person who has seen this as a kind of weakness...
You may be the only one. I have been using various kinds of forum software on and off for ~25 years. None of them have had the features you suggest. Koub is right, it's just formatting, and it's not intended to be anything more than that.

phpBB is one of the least worst open source forum platforms available and they haven't seen fit to address this issue since 2001.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

Fine. I guess I am just too used to less friendly areas of the internet, where I would expect everything to disintegrate into chaos - doing fake quotes of admins, using deleted messages as a way of making it look legit, seeing if you can get people banned for hate speach, etc.
But the moderators are active enough, and the community nice enough, that this isn't a problem - that is a pretty good thing on the whole.
Thanks for all your responses.

Return to “This Forum”