SEO issue

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SEO issue

Post by ssilk »

SHiRKiT wrote:How can you remember/search with such precision ssilk? I can barely remember my own posts!
I remember, that we had this subject anywhere in the forum and then I begin to search, using all tricks I know.

- shrinking by board
- did I answered? I remember (in most cases :) ) what I have posted, so I can shrink to my nickname. Might sound a bit unfair, when I link to my posts, but they are just easier to find for me, cause I will use most times the same (search-)words for the same thing.
- and I remember also very well, who might have answered a theme, especially the devs. That can shrink also the results dramatically.
- I find a similar article. Then I search backwards: Are there other articles, that links to this one? This is easy: I take the thread-id (like "7911") and search for that and find other similar articles, that links to 7911.
- I search for some words. That is the most difficult job, cause the usage of words change over time. It is in most cases useful to use more than one word. * is also a good tool (Did they wrote "research" or "researching", no problem, I look for "research*").
- And then, well, the rest is just hard work: reading through the results. I look then also to the date of post, cause I also remember in some cases about the date-range, when that was discussed.

I think the most important part is, that I know, that something is already discussed and I know, I will find it, when I search long enough. It makes no sense to search with that depth, if you don't know that. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Most of the forums are now visible to search engines, but there is still stuff missing.

I did some Google searches for exact forum links, and these did not show up:

Contributions
Contributions -> Mods
Contributions -> Mods -> Modding help
Contributions -> Mods -> Big mods -> Treefarm
Contributions -> Mods -> Big mods -> F mod
Contributions -> Mods -> Big mods -> Test mode
Contributions -> Mods -> Big mods -> Bob's mods
Contributions -> Mods -> Big mods -> Cartmen's Complete Overhaul
Contributions -> Mods -> Big mods -> Atomic Power

Could an admin can investigate whether bots are missing permissions on these forums?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As far as I can see, there is no difference for the bot-role to this subforums....

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hi,

The forum IS indexed by Google. The point is its ranking is abysmal (I think).

Try this search : Treefarm site:www.factorioforums.com
For me, 4th link points towards this : https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?p=69230

The thing is the forum has been closed to bot crawling for long, so I think it needs to build-up some ranking.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

I just think it's strange that the link https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14 is not in Google cache. If you search for that exact link, it takes you to an unrelated forum.

Hmm, it is in Bing cache though. Ok, maybe it is just really low ranked.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, if your search for an exact url it will be splitted into it's parts and then searched for the "words". Even an "exact" search will not search for that. Cause the url is not part of the "content" text of a page. It is just a link in a hypertext-format, it's not the text. There is a difference between searching something on a site and searching for words on the web-pages on this site.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Have you thought of using Google Analytics to have a look at what Google has in its records about this forum ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “This Forum”