Server sometimes unavailable - time to upgrade hosting plan?

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Server sometimes unavailable - time to upgrade hosting plan?

Post by sillyfly »

Lately while trying to access www.factorioforums.com I get "server unavailable" errors, or error pages from www.forpsi.com (which I guess is the host of this site?)
It's no surprise - less than a year ago Factorio had about 10K downloads, and now it is nearing 70K. Assuming the forum audience grows at a similar rate, forum traffic probably increased about sevenfold in the past year or so.
Do you guys think it's time to upgrade your hosting plan? Or is it just me who's getting those weird error pages?

(not trying to tell the devs how to spend their money, of course, just wanted to bring their attention to this matter :) )

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Server sometimes unavailable - time to upgrade hosting p

Post by FishSandwich »

Been having same problem. :/ Earlier today it was down for a good 10 minutes, just showing the forpsi page.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

From the hardware side, this should be no problem. Much bigger forum work with smaller hardware.

In my current opinion (I can't be sure, I guess just cause of 20 years experience in that area) this is what we see: some hiccups of the server, caused by maintenance, backup or updates. But I can be completely wrong.

Off topic: In my eyes the setup is ... Not very common; having two or more applications (forum and wiki and some homepage) under one virtual host (not server or machine) is nowadays not so useful, cause such setups tend to become a steady workaround, which is difficult to update and maintain. Common is to have every virtual host, every service under one virtual machine. In this case the forum, the wiki, the database and some static webpages. And for maintenance the machines are cloned/mirrored.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

fastcgi.jpg
fastcgi.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 10620 times
got this error today.

seems easy to fix

-edit-
seems like a shared webhosting envoirement with 100 website running on it.

ask if they can change your apache fastcgi count. or maybe upgrade to something else.
or just order a small vps somewhere, what you can use. these days that ain't expancive anymore.

http://w3bin.com/ip_info/81.2.195.72 host is hosting a lot of websites.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe you are right. But you cannot know, how this is hosted. It could be the proxy-gateway you are looking for. And the 503 error is something else. Without further knowledge, how the stuff is configured you are just guessing.

But well, the 503 comes often in the last weeks. My experience says, that the host is configured with a limit of connections. Resolving is just wait a bit (5-10 secs) and then reload.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

ssilk wrote:Maybe you are right. But you cannot know, how this is hosted. It could be the proxy-gateway you are looking for. And the 503 error is something else. Without further knowledge, how the stuff is configured you are just guessing.

But well, the 503 comes often in the last weeks. My experience says, that the host is configured with a limit of connections. Resolving is just wait a bit (5-10 secs) and then reload.
For sure i am guessing, and not looked further then the IP address, i know that f5 solves it, but it is just irritating.

The problem and solution you seem to know. So i will leave it by this.

Return to “This Forum”