[Not a bug] [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Not a bug] [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by eradicator »

What?
Instead of listing me as "hidden: n" the forum still lists my name even though i have the option active.
online.png
online.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
hidden.png
hidden.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
Further observations
Yesterday i noticed that there are at least some people for who it works, because the list said "hidden: 2", but for me it doesn't work even after flipping the flag on/off and logging off/on after that. I also thought for a moment that after logging off one of the hidden users disappeared (implying that i'm listed as both named and hidden) but as that's not the case now it seems to be a misobservation. I also can't test if my name is only shown to me personally because names aren't listed at all when not logged in (i.e. from a second browser).

Expected behavior
The list should simply add me to "hiddden: n" instead of showing my name.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by Koub »

Are you sure you should be hidden to yourself ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am
I'm only sure that's how it behaved before the update. But as stated i can't test because the whole "who is online" feature isn't shown when not logged in.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 am
Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am
I'm only sure that's how it behaved before the update. But as stated i can't test because the whole "who is online" feature isn't shown when not logged in.
viewonline.php
There are 9 registered users and 2 hidden users online

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

Hidden users can see themselves online but to others they do appear hidden. You can easily test this yourself by opening a private window and see "1 hidden". Not a bug :)
ovo

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Sanqui wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Hidden users can see themselves online but to others they do appear hidden. You can easily test this yourself by opening a private window and see "1 hidden". Not a bug :)
No, i can not "easily test" this, because the list of users is not show at all when not logged in (saying this for the 3rd time...)[That's fine btw, i'm not at all saying the list should be shown, just that it's not possible to verify this that way]. "X hidden" doesn't tell me if that's me or not (otherwise it'd be pointless wouldn't it :p). The only way to verify this would be to make a fake account and look at the list of names. If you say it's working and it's just showing me to myself (which is also pointless, because i'm pretty sure i know that i'm online when i'm online...) then i guess i have to believe you (until such time where i decided to make a fake account to test it).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

2018-10-19 15_14_26-Factorio Forums - Index page.jpg
2018-10-19 15_14_26-Factorio Forums - Index page.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
There are 10 registered, 1 hidden, and 141 unregistered (or unauthentified).
However I can count 11 names, including 1 staff, 2 bots, and 1 name in italics.

I don't understand the differences and how all this is counted.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

eradicator, please, feel free to make a fake account and test. I did, and it worked as expected (I did not see my main account in the list of names when hidden).

It would, however, appear that mods and admins can see hidden accounts (they are in italics). I hope this is not too big of a deal.
ovo

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 pm
2018-10-19 15_14_26-Factorio Forums - Index page.jpg

There are 10 registered, 1 hidden, and 141 unregistered (or unauthentified).
However I can count 11 names, including 1 staff, 2 bots, and 1 name in italics.

I don't understand the differences and how all this is counted.
In another forum I use (also based on phpBB), I have your status of "Global Moderator". With this, I can see the name of all users logged in, even if they are invisible to others. The names of "hidden" users are displayed in italics, so I guess it will be the same here. BTW: I'm always invisible in that other forum, and I see my name in bold (because I'm a moderator) italics (because I'm invinc^H^Hsible). Guess it is similar here …
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@Koub:
Referencing that with what i see i can deduce: Every name is counted as "registered" (incl. bots) except for the "hidden" ones, which are counted seperately. And italics are hidden.

@Sanqui:
I believe you when you say it works. I was just stating that this is not at all easy to verify without a fake account (it is infact impossible without one).
@mods-see-all: Considering how often i talk to devs and mods (*cough* right now *cough*) i'm not sure how much of a concern that is ;).

Return to “This Forum”