[Not a bug] [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Post Reply
User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

[Not a bug] [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by eradicator » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:57 am

What?
Instead of listing me as "hidden: n" the forum still lists my name even though i have the option active.
online.png
online.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 212 times
hidden.png
hidden.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Further observations
Yesterday i noticed that there are at least some people for who it works, because the list said "hidden: 2", but for me it doesn't work even after flipping the flag on/off and logging off/on after that. I also thought for a moment that after logging off one of the hidden users disappeared (implying that i'm listed as both named and hidden) but as that's not the case now it seems to be a misobservation. I also can't test if my name is only shown to me personally because names aren't listed at all when not logged in (i.e. from a second browser).

Expected behavior
The list should simply add me to "hiddden: n" instead of showing my name.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by Koub » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am

Are you sure you should be hidden to yourself ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by eradicator » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 am

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am
Are you sure you should be hidden to yourself ?
I'm only sure that's how it behaved before the update. But as stated i can't test because the whole "who is online" feature isn't shown when not logged in.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

User avatar
darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by darkfrei » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:07 pm

eradicator wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 am
Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am
Are you sure you should be hidden to yourself ?
I'm only sure that's how it behaved before the update. But as stated i can't test because the whole "who is online" feature isn't shown when not logged in.
viewonline.php
There are 9 registered users and 2 hidden users online

User avatar
Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by Sanqui » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Hidden users can see themselves online but to others they do appear hidden. You can easily test this yourself by opening a private window and see "1 hidden". Not a bug :)
ovo

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by eradicator » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Sanqui wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Hidden users can see themselves online but to others they do appear hidden. You can easily test this yourself by opening a private window and see "1 hidden". Not a bug :)
No, i can not "easily test" this, because the list of users is not show at all when not logged in (saying this for the 3rd time...)[That's fine btw, i'm not at all saying the list should be shown, just that it's not possible to verify this that way]. "X hidden" doesn't tell me if that's me or not (otherwise it'd be pointless wouldn't it :p). The only way to verify this would be to make a fake account and look at the list of names. If you say it's working and it's just showing me to myself (which is also pointless, because i'm pretty sure i know that i'm online when i'm online...) then i guess i have to believe you (until such time where i decided to make a fake account to test it).
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by Koub » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 pm

2018-10-19 15_14_26-Factorio Forums - Index page.jpg
2018-10-19 15_14_26-Factorio Forums - Index page.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 163 times
There are 10 registered, 1 hidden, and 141 unregistered (or unauthentified).
However I can count 11 names, including 1 staff, 2 bots, and 1 name in italics.

I don't understand the differences and how all this is counted.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by Sanqui » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:49 pm

eradicator, please, feel free to make a fake account and test. I did, and it worked as expected (I did not see my main account in the list of names when hidden).

It would, however, appear that mods and admins can see hidden accounts (they are in italics). I hope this is not too big of a deal.
ovo

Pi-C
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:13 am

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by Pi-C » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Koub wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 pm
2018-10-19 15_14_26-Factorio Forums - Index page.jpg

There are 10 registered, 1 hidden, and 141 unregistered (or unauthentified).
However I can count 11 names, including 1 staff, 2 bots, and 1 name in italics.

I don't understand the differences and how all this is counted.
In another forum I use (also based on phpBB), I have your status of "Global Moderator". With this, I can see the name of all users logged in, even if they are invisible to others. The names of "hidden" users are displayed in italics, so I guess it will be the same here. BTW: I'm always invisible in that other forum, and I see my name in bold (because I'm a moderator) italics (because I'm invinc^H^Hsible). Guess it is similar here …

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: [Bug] "Hide my online status" does nothing

Post by eradicator » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:59 pm

@Koub:
Referencing that with what i see i can deduce: Every name is counted as "registered" (incl. bots) except for the "hidden" ones, which are counted seperately. And italics are hidden.

@Sanqui:
I believe you when you say it works. I was just stating that this is not at all easy to verify without a fake account (it is infact impossible without one).
@mods-see-all: Considering how often i talk to devs and mods (*cough* right now *cough*) i'm not sure how much of a concern that is ;).
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

Post Reply

Return to “This Forum”