Forum registration

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
SquidCap
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Forum registration

Post by SquidCap »

First: Why do i need to have different accounts for Factorio.com and forums.factorio.com? You must understand that this will confuse the hell out of not just users but ALL password managers. And of course, none of this is mentioned anywhere, you only find out once you go thru with it. Those who have, do not need to worry and thus this problem exist only on first time users: it is never reported as a problem. It is, not a big one but really, really annoying. Personally, now i have to manually re-enter new info since both are in the same domain and you most likely use the same username unless other instructions.

Captcha/bot check.. Comeon.. is this amateur hour? You have 3 checks where two of them are quite ineffective, old remains from circa 2005. And then you have re-captcha.. It looks exactly like someone did the first check, left and then next guy took over, added one more and left, then no one took care of it and recaptcha was added.. Very unprofessional.. I can understand temporarily adding one more to fight of spammmers but 3... on factorio forum.. comeon..

BTW, the color scheme here means that it is kind of hard to see the cursor, impossible if it happens to be at the beginning of the line.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Forum registration

Post by Jap2.0 »

Did you know that they are both also entirely different from wiki.factorio.com? :P

I'm fairly certain you can just use the same password for all of them though. (sure that's probably a bad idea, but whatever.)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is discussed :
Here for the accounts
Here for the cursor
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SquidCap
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SquidCap »

Koub wrote:This is discussed :
Here for the accounts
Here for the cursor
Kind of guessed what the answer is to the two accounts question: "it is the way it is because it is the way it is. Thank you for your feedback". Aka "we do not see this issue from the point of view of the user but from the point of view of developer: it is going to be a problem for me if it is going to change, i like to do it this way so shut up" :) I've been thru this dance before and know about why you would choose this: it is easier to do, solves a LOT of problems but... is still a problem for ALL users of both services.. It is wrong practice from my point of view and the ONLY option developers have. I admit, i would probably do the same but ONLY because i don't know how to separate them and i'm doofus when it comes to website security.

On the cursor issue: it was reported in 2017 on that post. Has it been fixed? Does it annoy at least new user? Does it actually annoy EVERYONE? And yet.. the problem obviously is still there.. I think this website needs new admins. This is something that can be done in less than 5 minutes. It is a problem still: FIX IT and stop excuses such as "it has been reported before". It has probably taken more effort to explain this than it would've taken to fix it.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

SquidCap wrote:I think this website needs new admins. This is something that can be done in less than 5 minutes.
I agree, but until that happens you have workarounds like changing your board style to prosilver.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I just linked previous topics discussing the matter just that you know there are, a bit of search bvefore posting is never useless.

Now, there have been a few complaints about that "hard to see cursor". Like a few. OK let's say maybe 10 or 20 out of 53256 users. Take maybe 60% out of this because theyr are banned spambots, you still have overwhelmingly little complaints about that. I'd say a lot more than complaints about mapgen, or the compression issues - when there were some. This is really ultraminor, especially knowing there are builtin skins that don'h have the "issue".

The 60% over there brings my second argument. Despite these mechanisms, every day, we moderators ban a handful spambots, unbeknownst to this forum users. Not saying that to trigger the crows's eternal admiration and gratefulness, but just to state that despite all this, bots still break through.

And just that you know, I'm not part of the dev or admin team, I'm just a random guy who incidentally happens to be a moderator (which can't do what you're asking for, sorry).

SquidCap
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SquidCap »

Koub wrote:I just linked previous topics discussing the matter just that you know there are, a bit of search bvefore posting is never useless.

Now, there have been a few complaints about that "hard to see cursor". Like a few. OK let's say maybe 10 or 20 out of 53256 users. Take maybe 60% out of this because theyr are banned spambots, you still have overwhelmingly little complaints about that. I'd say a lot more than complaints about mapgen, or the compression issues - when there were some. This is really ultraminor, especially knowing there are builtin skins that don'h have the "issue".

The 60% over there brings my second argument. Despite these mechanisms, every day, we moderators ban a handful spambots, unbeknownst to this forum users. Not saying that to trigger the crows's eternal admiration and gratefulness, but just to state that despite all this, bots still break through.

And just that you know, I'm not part of the dev or admin team, I'm just a random guy who incidentally happens to be a moderator (which can't do what you're asking for, sorry).
This is the problem with forums and communities that don't get a lot of new members, they eventually stop fixing problems since "no one really thinks they are problems and you can always do X, Y and Z to workaround it". New user feedback is considered as "you don't know how to work this yet" while it should be "hmm, haven't thought about that in a long time". Just because you get anecdotal evidence on the cases you have seen that points that not everyone complains, it means jack shit. Many never complain and most get used to the problems. The problem still exists, that is a fact.

js305
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Double registration site/forums

Post by js305 »

Hi, this is my first post here. Just wanted to say hello and point out one improvment. I've register while ago on site and today wanted to go straight from site to forum but surprisingly I couldn't. I had to register 2nd time on forum. Why not let first registration access also on forum?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic on the same subject.
For the answer, you can read from the start of this older topic :).

Return to “This Forum”